Jeffries at Eastbourne Auction

Alex West

I just noticed this C Jeffries at Eastbourne Auction Rooms coming up on 24th March.

Superficially, it looks OK, but I'm suspicious about the font of the makers stamp and there are also aspects of the fretwork and buttons which make me wonder if this is genuine. No idea about the key.

The reeds and the sound are what matter but I'm too far away to be able to check

Alex

I just noticed this C Jeffries at Eastbourne Auction Rooms coming up on 24th March.

Superficially, it looks OK, but I'm suspicious about the font of the makers stamp and there are also aspects of the fretwork and buttons which make me wonder if this is genuine. No idea about the key.

The reeds and the sound are what matter but I'm too far away to be able to check

Alex

Thats funny as there has just been a discussion about the look of ivory and metal buttons.Here you seem to have the best or worst of both on the same instrument.

• 3 weeks later...

Hammer price was £3,200 so total cost including buyer's premium and VAT was £3,776. I hope the buyer had a good look at it and knew what it was he/she was buying - it looks awfully expensive if it wasn't the genuine article

Did you go Alan?

Alex

Like Alex - I doubted about the stamp, it looks like an bad imitation (tell me I am wrong Jim) and the same for the fretwork. The bellows / not genuine but one could expect that - may be replaced at some time.

Somehow auction houses remind me of ebay sellers. I am hoping for the buyer that it was worth the gamble. The price is in line with the actual auction price for genuine Jeffries anglos in need of TLC. Just thinking / a stamp can be added to prove that it is really a jeffries (also when it does not need that because it already is a real jeffries).

What could be the `fake` percentage of all jeffries concertina offered in auctions? Anybody ´round here has an idea about that?

- - - edited to remove most typos - - -

Edited by marien

Has anyone else noticed that the two ends are mis-aligned. Someone has taken it apart and not reassembled it properly.

I guess that has been done by the concertina expert of the auction house...

Hammer price £3200

I could not get to view this concertina sadly. A few problems here prevented it.

Oops just read fully your posting Alex just repeated the price.

It does look as though they are holding their price at the moment.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Hammer price £3200

... It does look as though they are holding their price at the moment.

Al

That's right Alan - they are holding their price.

At Bonhams(9 March) I heard 2 Jeffries anglos going for a hammer prices of 3300 and 3100 (lot 1 and 3).

I was on the phone but I didn´t bid - there was too much doubt and tunings were unknown.

To anyone thinking about bidding in auctions - check this to see what you must add to these hammer prices (lot 1 went for 3300 pounds, lot 3 went for 3100).

Marien

By the way, lot 2 - a Wheatstone MacCann - went for 900 pounds `only`.

Edited by marien

Just to let you know I had a chat with the auctioneer this morning and enquired about the Jeffries. The bellows were in a very poor state and some buttons were missing. I would expect that owing to this condition the reeds were probably in old concert pitch ,so quite a high price. Jeffries are getting rarer every day so still worth the investment.

Al

It's good that these battered Jeffries are being restored, but the state of some of them does make me wonder how much remains Jeffries and how much is new concertina.

If Chris/Wim builds a new concertina around Jeffries reeds, is it a Jeffries? or a Phoenix?

A bit like Trigger's broom!

Alan, when you spoke to the auction expert, did you by any chance broach the issue of the wrong font on the Jeffries stamping or the possibly of a forgery? Maybe I'm all wet, but the possibility that an instrument got sold as a Jeffries and brought a Jeffries price when it might not have been seems to me a real issue here and the fact that the auction gallery had photos taken of the instrument with it improperly put together doesn't exactly give me much confidence in their "expert"!! I'd be very interested to hear your views.

Ross Schlabach