Am I missing something here?

david robertson

This one was offered on eBay for £2500 - about four times what it was worth, I thought. Then it disappeared. Looking in my watch list, I discovered that someone had offered £2300 for it - and the seller had turned it down! One question: who is the most barking mad - the bidder, the seller, or me for missing some extremely desirable feature of an otherwise undistinguished instrument?

This one was offered on eBay for £2500 - about four times what it was worth, I thought. Then it disappeared. Looking in my watch list, I discovered that someone had offered £2300 for it - and the seller had turned it down! One question: who is the most barking mad - the bidder, the seller, or me for missing some extremely desirable feature of an otherwise undistinguished instrument?

Let's see. In the old carny or medicine show scene there was the intended victim or mark.

The fancy rhetoric is the pitch and the seller is the pitchman. Mingled in with the audience, close to the mark is someone working with the pitchman called the shill. If the mark seems to be holding back the shill yells at the pitchman, "What a deal! I'll take 5 bottles of that snake oil!" Sometimes the mark gets caught up in the commotion and says,"I'll take 10!"

I can hear the pitch on this "Rare" concertina. Perhaps a refusal by the pitchman at 2300 from a shill is the commotion to draw the mark in? I can almost smell the snake oil.

Then again, perhaps this is all just "fool's gold" and an honest mistake?

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

The fancy rhetoric is the pitch and the seller is the pitchman. Mingled in with the audience, close to the mark is someone working with the pitchman called the shill. If the mark seems to be holding back the shill yells at the pitchman, "What a deal! I'll take 5 bottles of that snake oil!" Sometimes the mark gets caught up in the commotion and says,"I'll take 10!"

I like the analogy, Greg, but surely it should culminate with the pitcher actually selling some snake-oil, not packing it into his saddlebags and riding off into the sunset?

I like the analogy, Greg, but surely it should culminate with the pitcher actually selling some snake-oil, not packing it into his saddlebags and riding off into the sunset?

Dave,

I was thinking the 2300 came from the shill to legitimaize the "rarity" and the pitchman's refusal was to get a potential mark to in jump at "bargain" 2400.

If not,I suppose this wouldn't be the first time a snake oil pitchman shot himself in the foot and limped off into the sunset.

Keep yer eyes peeled, pardner.

Greg

BTW I have a whole wagon load of those "rare" bone button Lachenal four folds. :blink: Do I hear 2500? ;)

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

This one was offered on eBay for £2500 - about four times what it was worth, I thought.

Four times what its worth? More like 10 to 20 times its worth as an unrestored, four fold, bone button, probably brass reeded Lachenal

I've seen a couple of ads on Ebay where the seller has professed complete ignorance of concertinas, then provided detailed information on new pads or other recent work. Or shown pictures of a fully dismantled box with key elements on display.

I wouldn't have thought it likely that someone with an item about which they know nothing, but wish to sell, would merrily start stripping it down or would know what they'd found when they found it.

I've seen a couple of ads on Ebay where the seller has professed complete ignorance of concertinas, then provided detailed information on new pads or other recent work. Or shown pictures of a fully dismantled box with key elements on display. I wouldn't have thought it likely that someone with an item about which they know nothing, but wish to sell, would merrily start stripping it down or would know what they'd found when they found it.

It would take very long to find out that is roughly how you sell a concertina, and the service history might have come with it.

I notice the overvalued concertina has been withdrawn by the seller.