SSI 2011

Yes, squeezers,

there
is
going to be a
Scandinavian Squeeze-In
this year.
22-24 April 2011

My responsibility, so my apologies for the lateness of this announcement.

I won't bother with excuses, except to say that over the past 12 months I've been involved in too many activities with high personal priorities.

Our web site has now been updated.

The price and contact information remain the same as last year, and right now you can use the link provided on the web site to email your request for a place.

Good news! Those of you who have been to past SSI's know that there are two scout houses at Gamlegård. The past two years we've been in the "second" house, displaced by actual scouts who had booked the main house. Well, this year we've been lucky and we're back in the main house.

For those of you who don't already know what this event is all about, go to the web site and click on "What We Do" in the table of contents to the left.

As I find time, I'll also add some more details in this thread.

Maybe some other past participants will do the same?

Edited by JimLucas

Yes, squeezers,

there
is
going to be a
Scandinavian Squeeze-In
this year.

As usual, it will be the last
full
weekend in April, i.e., April 22-24, 2011.

Our web site has now been updated, and I've similarly updated the first post in this thread and the concertina.net Calendar listing.

Yes, squeezers,

there
is
going to be a
Scandinavian Squeeze-In
this year.

As usual, it will be the last
full
weekend in April, i.e., April 22-24, 2011.

Our web site has now been updated, and I've similarly updated the first post in this thread and the concertina.net Calendar listing.

I can come this year! Yay!!!!!!! Book me in Jim, I'll bring a spinning wheel too .....

Edited to add I'm having email problems this evening - will email in the morning when I've got better connection ... sooo excited, off to book flight now and it's at the end of the Easter holiday so I can come early and stay over ..... sooo excited .......

Edited by Wrigglefingers

Yes, squeezers,

there
is
going to be a
Scandinavian Squeeze-In
this year.
22-24 April 2011

This year the SSI weekend is also the Easter weekend, which we realize may pose a conflict for some of you.

We're sorry about that, but past experience has taught us that changing the dates away from our regular schedule of the last full weekend in April causes more problems than it solves. If you can't come this year, we hope we might see you next year.

(For those of you who like to plan ahead, the next time Easter will conflict with our regular schedule will be the year 2038.)

I can come this year! Yay!!!!!!! Book me in Jim...

Done.

...I'll bring a spinning wheel too .....

On a cheap flight?

Is it one of those modern collapsible wheels?

Will you bring your own wool, or should I bring some?
;)

On a cheap flight?

Twice in the past year I've managed to bring something large, and fragile, both very cheaply and safely with Ryanair - the trick is to book it early as Mr./Mrs./Ms. Extra Item Seat when seats are still available at a low fare (like £5!) for your flight, and bring it in the cabin sitting beside you. :)

I don't think many people are aware of this, including (sometimes) the cabin crew... :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

The
deadline
for letting us know that you're coming to this year's SSI
(i.e., for "booking")
has been extended to
April 15

(If anyone has noticed that we seem to do this every year, it's so that I have a chance to send out last-minute reminders... like this one, while getting as many early bookings as possible, to have at least some idea of attendance. ;))

One thing "new" this year is that it looks like I won't be the only one there with an interest it reading music and playing in parts. Even if you don't expect to be one of those players, I hope we'll be worth listening to when we play for each other. Among the various "scores" I'll be bringing are a not-too-difficult quartet by Scarlatti, some late-19th-century dance music scored for two banjos, and... well, I'll see what I can dig from my files and piles of assorted music. :) And I know that some others will also be bringing things to try.

I think we'll also have the resources to have a session dedicated to exploring harmony and chording possibilities beyond simple triads.

And while the local weather forecast doesn't yet extend quite up to that (Easter) weekend, spring has already arrived in the area, so the surroundings should be quite lovely in a couple more weeks.

See you there?
:unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, another SSI is over, and most enjoyable for those who came.

I'll be posting a short review here within a few days, and I hope that other participants will give their own impressions.

Meanwhile, I've started a new thread to announce next year's SSI well in advance.

... while the local weather forecast doesn't yet extend quite up to that (Easter) weekend, spring has already arrived in the area, so the surroundings should be quite lovely in a couple more weeks.

That prediction certainly came true. The weather was so nice that we took to eating our meals outdoors. :)

Twice in the past year I've managed to bring something large, and fragile, both very cheaply and safely with Ryanair - the trick is to book it early as Mr./Mrs./Ms. Extra Item Seat when seats are still available at a low fare (like £5!) for your flight, and bring it in the cabin sitting beside you. :)

I don't think many people are aware of this, including (sometimes) the cabin crew... :unsure:

I thought every passenger had to show ID - if your fragile item is masquerading as a passenger then what do you use as ID? :)

Hi Jim,

thank you for organising this most enjoyable weekend. And special thanks to Elisabeth for her wonderfull cooking and Arvid and Evind for teaching me swedish.

I hope everybody got home safely. Robert and I spent another night on Moen where to my surprise we were the only people walking along the cliffs.

My recording of our little concert came out quite well so any participant interested send me a mail for a CD.

post-465-0-05976600-1303827693_thumb.jpg

See you next year I hope

Nils