Wheatstone 22 and 24 Button Instruments

Lawrence Reeves

Not a Wheatstone, but I've just been asked to sell a Lachenal 24 key CG anglo. The extra buttons are C#/D# and Bb/G# and two with A/G reversals an octave apart.

I know David Levine had a 20 key Linota

All the makers (including Jeffries!) made 20-key Anglos, in fact the first Wheatstone Anglo that I ever tried was a brand-new 20-key, back around 1972.

Jacqueline McCarthy plays a 24 button model.

Jacqui's is a semi-miniature one that her father bought secondhand from Harry Crabb. It had originally belonged to Ken Loveless who'd taken it to sea with him in the Royal Navy (before he was ordained).

Hopefully I should still have my tuning diagram for it somewhere... :unsure:

Although I've not personally seen Ms. McCarthy's Anglo, Harold Herrington is looking into making some 24-key Anglos and he told me the extra buttons on the left hand side are A#/C# (C row) and F#/G# (G row), and on the right hand side C#/D# (C row) and F#/C# (G row). I must say it makes a certain amount of sense to have the accidentals easily accessible to the index finger on both hands. And it would definitely be lighter than a full 30-button instrument.

Gary

• 11 years later...
On 2/25/2011 at 12:10 AM, gcoover said:

Although I've not personally seen Ms. McCarthy's Anglo, Harold Herrington is looking into making some 24-key Anglos and he told me the extra buttons on the left hand side are A#/C# (C row) and F#/G# (G row), and on the right hand side C#/D# (C row) and F#/C# (G row).

I just came across the tuning diagram for it, twelve years later!

On the left hand side it (30+ years ago) was A#/C# (C row) and F/G# (G row), and on the right hand side C#/D# (C row) and A#/G# (G row). 

Edited by Stephen Chambers