Unusual Prospects - The Concertina ... 5th March!

Ptarmigan

The Tolbooth

Stirling,

Scotland

SAT 5 MAR, 1PM

£8/£6

Continuing our support for traditional music we take a look at one of the more unusual instruments that colour traditional music’s sound world, the concertina, or squeeze box. It’s one of those instruments that make you wonder how it’s possible to play, those buttons are all so small and so close together.

Steve Turner is an absolute master of the concertina and for the first of our Unusual Prospects events he will be joined by Simon Thoumire and Steve Sutcliffe. The event is an informal performance and masterclass. Come along, ask questions and listen to some masterly music.

Tickets from 01786 27 4000

Unusual Prospects - The Concertina!

Cheers

Dick

I have seen videos of Steve Turner playing an English concertina. Does he also play the Maccan or was that just a random picture?

ocd

I can't find any mention of a Maccan, but on one site I did find this quote from him:

The concertina I play on this record is a wooden ended 64 key Wheatstone English system bass / baritone / tenor aeola in High Pitch (i.e. A-452). Its serial number is 32306 made in 1929. It is an ex-Salvation Army band instrument with the buttons arranged to be played comfortably in flat keys. The four bottom buttons on the left hand side have ‘anglo’ action, i.e they play two notes per button, thus extending the range of the instrument to 68 notes. The Doncaster Salvation Army band was one of the top bands in the country in the early 20th century and I bought the concertina in the late 1970s from a Salvation Army Colonel who played in the in Doncaster Band in the earlier years of the century.

The piccolo concertina I use on ‘Dudley Boys’ is a 48 key Wheatstone amboyna ended aeola with gold buttons, serial number 30953 made in 1926. It makes more noise than the rest of the band put together if not seriously "strangled"!

The Tradition Bearers

Perhaps someone here knows him well & may know if he's a secret Maccan player, too. ;)

Cheers

Dick