newbie equipment question

dwilken

hi all- total newbie here. the more old posts i read the more confused i get. i'm a mediocre guitar/bass/mandolin/ukulele guy. playing with 4 other guitarists and things are getting redundant. looking to add a squeezebox sound. i guess it would be like what sheryl crow, bryds etc....do. just a little coloring in the backround. who knows though, maybe i'll actually get proficient and do some writing with it. but, that's the type of music i play. i just don't know what to get. i can't tell if their playing concertina,s , accordians, melodians???????. looking for some advice. i have no keyboard experience.-what do you folk think???? dave in ohio

You need to listen carefully to the sounds you like on those recordings. Concertina is essentially a single reed per note sound - think "classical" harmonica/guitar pitch pipe sounds. The names you mentioned, Cheryl Crow etc., are unlikely to be using a concertina - I would have expected accordion to be more their thing. That sound typically has two or more reeds per note giving a tremolo effect - think Cajun/Quebecois (McGarrigle's) TexMex music? You might also look at the sister site - http://forum.melodeon.net/ - for those "other" instruments. Maybe this will help your search?

Go on the links to YouTube on concertina net and melodeon net and see what you like the sound of. melodeon/button accordion is cheaper for a good one than a concertina. You'll progress quicker on a meldoen than a concertina if it's song accompanimet you want but to get really good is a long haul as is concertina. I have played both.

All these answers are good advice. I too also play other instruments (mainly guitar these days), and I love the sound of free reed instruments in various styles of music. Perhaps a browse on youtube with accordion, melodeon, or concertina in the search box would give you some idea of the range of styles and sounds. Lots of Tex-Mex and also country music bands use accordions and other squeezeboxes, but there are also more traditional Morris players using melodeons and concertinas. As a guitarist, you will also be able to figure out chords for song accompaniments fairly quickly. The main thing is to choose a type of instrument you can afford and like the sound of, and then you will start to use it just like an extra stringed instrument! Enjoy : )

thanks for all the advice. i'm in sandusky ohio, up by cedar point. when i get some time i'll spend an hour you tubing. that sounds like the way to go. my main concern at the moment is monetary, and then ease of play.- looking forward to starting. been watching craigslist & ebay. if i don't find anything in a few weeks i'll actually hit a music store.-dave

thanks for all the advice. i'm in sandusky ohio, up by cedar point. when i get some time i'll spend an hour you tubing. that sounds like the way to go. my main concern at the moment is monetary, and then ease of play.- looking forward to starting. been watching craigslist & ebay. if i don't find anything in a few weeks i'll actually hit a music store.-dave

you wont find a quality concertina at a music store, but if you go to the right one you might find a really cheap, $100 one that is made in china. alan seems to be not too far from you. if you're willing to drive a bit further, there are quite a few anglo concertina players associated with the riley school of irish music in Cincinnati, including my friends who make concertinas!

if you are ever in Chicago, let me know, you can always stop by a session and i can show you what anglo is like.

where are you at in Ohio? I am in Dublin and would be willing to give you some help if you are near by.

Alan

hey Alan! i like to go down and play music in Ohio when i can. what sort of music do you play? I have a lot of friends who play Irish music in Ohio, and some family, too.

where are you at in Ohio? I am in Dublin and would be willing to give you some help if you are near by.

Alan

hey Alan! i like to go down and play music in Ohio when i can. what sort of music do you play? I have a lot of friends who play Irish music in Ohio, and some family, too.

David, mostly old time and cowboy music. I am not sure where you head when you play, but I am in the Columbus area in the center of the state. If you want to meet up sometime, I would be cool with it. Dave is up on the lake between Toledo and Cleveland which is a fair piece (2 1/2 hours or so).

Dave, if you decide to hit a music store, and decide to go the accordion route, there is a fairly good accordion shop in Warren MI you might want to check out. The name is Castigilone and you may want to check out their web site.

Alan