Concertina at Jarama in Spanish Civil War

michael sam wild

The Spanish Civil War began 75 years ago in 1936. After the battle of Jarama in February 1937 there was a memorial service to the IVth International Brigaders ( Quinte Brigada) who died, outside Madrid . In a recent book by James Whetter is a reference to a letter Harry Pollitt wrote of marching to the tune of a concertina and singing The Internationale.

My dad , Sam, was in the battle as a machine gunner and survived to become a commander of the British battaliuon and he used to talk of various instruments in the International Brigade. He carried an old Hohner harmonica through to coming home after the Ebro battle . I still have it and he taught me the basics of the diatonic mouthorgan on it. He also played an old German 20 button anglo which had been his mother's (she came from Mayo) but didn't have it in Spain . I remember him as a kid singing the song Jarama Valley to the tune of the Red River Valley (itself an old hymn tune) whilst playing along on it. ( on concertina not mouthorgan obviously!)

Edited by michael sam wild

The Spanish Civil War began 75 years ago in 1936. After the battle of Jarama in February 1937 there was a memorial service to the IVth International Brigaders ( Quinte Brigada) who died, outside Madrid . In a recent book by James Whetter is a reference to a letter Harry Pollitt wrote of marching to the tune of a concertina and singing The Internationale.

My dad , Sam, was in the battle as a machine gunner and survived to become a commander of the British battaliuon and he used to talk of various instruments in the International Brigade. He carried an old Hohner harmonica through to coming home after the Ebro battle . I still have it and he taught me the basics of the diatonic mouthorgan on it. He also played an old German 20 button anglo which had been his mother's (she came from Mayo) but didn't have it in Spain . I remember him as a kid singing the song to the tune of the Red River valley whilst playing along on it.

Nice story Michael! I love all these stories about the Spanish Civil War. There are stories in my family as well, but there is no music at all! there were not musicians in my family that I know of... and there were plenty of people, 7 brothers has my father and 11 my mother... even my grandfather from the side of my mother used the word "musician" as an insult! :lol:

Fernando

We'll be having music and songs ar the Jarama memorial next weekend so I may take a squeezebox but certainly a mouth organ . the event is being put on by the Spanish society to remember the Brigaders, most of whom have sadly passed on and various nationalitioes will be present.

The original Jarama song by Alec McDade, was sung as a 'gripe' about being stuck in the trenches for ages after the lines became fixed. Nowadays they are sung more as a tribute and the words got changed after the war.

originally they were were 'It;s there that we wasted our manhood , and most of our old age as well.' Now its 'There that we gave of our manood and most of our brave comrades fell.' .

My uncle Bert maskey was kiled on the first day and we recetly found wjer he was hastily buried and aphoto of him in life at the local museum. My dad was wounded on the first day and went off to hospital before going back to further battles up to te final one at the Rio Ebro, he dismissed tthe Brigades in Barcelona when they were withdrawn by the Repubican government.

He said that apart from well known political and union songs there were a lot of parodies and humorous songs as soldiers always do sing about their grievancs and take the mick about their situation. After the event the hagiography takes over as history is being interpreted and legends created. The tunes remain the same.

there is a good Mudcat thread started by concertina player and singer Geoff Lawes from Hull and links to lots of youtube and other resources.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a weekend memorial to those who fought and were wounded and fell at the battles of Jarama and Brunete near Madrid in Feb and July 1937. I played a few tunes and laments, and sang some songs in remembrance . A very good international memorial

• 5 weeks later...

My dad , Sam, was in the battle as a machine gunner and survived to become a commander of the British battaliuon and he used to talk of various instruments in the International Brigade. He carried an old Hohner harmonica through to coming home after the Ebro battle . I still have it and he taught me the basics of the diatonic mouthorgan on it. He also played an old German 20 button anglo which had been his mother's (she came from Mayo) but didn't have it in Spain . I remember him as a kid singing the song to the tune of the Red River valley whilst playing along on it.

Wonderful real history!

We ended up playing the Red Flag by demand from the parents and friends who sang along -- at their kids 21st birthday party....There were quite a few well known "1968ers" present. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Great posts, Mike. My uncle, Abe Schwartz, died in Spain fighting the fascists. My cousin, Abe Schwartz Ross, was named after him. Viva la quince brigada!!

Hi David, Just checked him out in the book on English speaking IBrs published in Spain in 2006

Schwartz, Araham - Brooklyn NY, Hospital in Villa Paz 10-09-1937!

5 Schwartz 's in SCW all from USA! one killed at Gandesa April 1938. Max also from NY

An amazing 35% of IBrs are estimated to have been Jewish, they had seen what was coming and had been up aginst it before!

There are plans for a concert of SCW songs at Whitby Festival this year. Aslo a song book is being prioduced for the 75th Anniv by the International Brigade Memorialo Trust and I am working on a double CD (Thanks to Alan Day for invaluable advice)

If anyone has any good suggestions of singers and songs from or about the SCW I'd be grateful for a PM. We are not just collecting 'folk' or political songs so The Clash and Manic Street Preachers are being studied along with the obvious songs by Woody Guthrie,Pete Seeger, Jimmy Miller (aka Ewan McColl) , Christy Moore, Dick Gaughan and Martin Simpson.