Corofin Traditional Festival 2011

fernando

Ladies and gentlemen!

Concertina Workshops in a trad festival in County Clare!

Here is the link:

http://www.corofintradfest.com/Workshops.aspx

I'm going to go, and I would like to meet someone from this forum, specially the English System concertina players.

hasta la vista!

It sounds like a nice workshop with some very good teachers, Fernando. It's too far for me to go but I hope you enjoy it and will report back to us on how it went.

Hasta luego!

Chris

It sounds like a nice workshop with some very good teachers, Fernando. It's too far for me to go but I hope you enjoy it and will report back to us on how it went.

Hasta luego!

Chris

No problem Chris! this festival looks good, with a few concertina teachers. This is the fifth concertina workshop I'm going to attend in a festival. This is going to be a bigger festival than the previous ones I went, with more concertina players, and my first one in County Clare! I will post to this thread how the workshop was. So far the best workshop for me has been the one with Tim Collins in Gort Festival of 2010.

¡Adiós!

Fernando

Edited by fernando

• 3 weeks later...

I just came now from Corofin. It was lovely! nice workshops. I was assigned to the intermediate level, the teacher was Jack Talty, very good teacher. Very technical, giving all the details for every tune: the key, all notes in ABC, ornamentation explained on the ABC and all the fingering. He told us good stories about music, and he even played at the end old recordings on his laptop. He taught us one tune in F Major, thats very uncommon to see in a workshop, I liked it very much. That was for me the best tune, it was the Masons Apron version of Micho Russell transposed to F Major. The other two were one jig very uncommon, he told us half joking that we are not going to listen it again; the name of this jig is The Old Sulphur Well, and it was composed by the west Clare flute player Michael Hynes. And the last tune was a common tune in sessions: The Mother and Child (Reel).

It was good fun! I will keep going to these workshops from time to time, they are good!

Fernando

I just came now from Corofin. It was lovely!

Cherry and I were there last night, and again this afternoon, for the sessions and also to meet up with Bill Crossland. Chris Droney was playing in Bofey Quinn's last night, though his lovely music was spoilt for me by a couple of musicians on loud instruments (other than concertinas!)

It's a pity we didn't get to meet up as I had a lovely metal-ended Wheatstone English with me, that I've just repaired for a Swiss lady who I thought was going to be there. I'm sure you would have liked to see it.

The Old Sulphur Well ... composed by the west Clare flute player Michael Hynes.

I've known Michael since we were both in London, years ago. He's a powerful flute player from the spa town of Lisdoonvarna, where the sulphur well is situated.

I just came now from Corofin. It was lovely!

Cherry and I were there last night, and again this afternoon, for the sessions and also to meet up with Bill Crossland. Chris Droney was playing in Bofey Quinn's last night, though his lovely music was spoilt for me by a couple of musicians on loud instruments (other than concertinas!)

It's a pity we didn't get to meet up as I had a lovely metal-ended Wheatstone English with me, that I've just repaired for a Swiss lady who I thought was going to be there. I'm sure you would have liked to see it.

The Old Sulphur Well ... composed by the west Clare flute player Michael Hynes.

I've known Michael since we were both in London, years ago. He's a powerful flute player from the spa town of Lisdoonvarna, where the sulphur well is situated.

It's a pity I didn't see you there Stephen! I was there only for the workshops and then I went to the sessions, they were packed! I couldn't play, but I could drink! B) I was chatting with the other students in the workshops. Suddendly I realised that the Corofin bus only comes during the summer! and I had to go quickly to hichhike before it got too dark. And guess who gave me a lift! JJ Conway! very nice man! I didn't know of him before going to the festival, I saw him in the festival leaflet, in the Hall Of Fame for this year, and suddendly I got to know him personally! we had a nice talk in the way to Ennis.

And Its a pity a didn't see that concertina! I'm always playing the metal ended I have, it is the one I brought to the festival. I've realised recently that It is easier to play the sharp notes in this concertina in comparison with the wooden ended, the sharp notes are a bit hard to play in that one. Maybe this is because the metal ended it's heavier.

I can only second Fernando (good to meet you!) in that it was a great week. I was in Mr. Lynch's class, and it was very interesting. We went through Larry's Favourite (Paddy O'Brien) and an unknown barndance. The merits of playing consecutive notes in the same bellow-direction was thouroghly discused/demonstrated, with much focus on chord-/bassprogressions. I was fortunate enough to have top concertina-players in every session I played bar one (E-flat session on Sunday afternoon). If that wasn't enough, I happened on a session in Ennis on Sunday night with Dympna O'Sullivan and had some lovely tunes there.

I must commend every single player I met on their willingness to discuss with and advice a rookie on the many facets of the instrument. I have already booked B&B for next year:-)