Over The Water to Charlie

fernando

I'm subscribed to the youtuber angloconc, I wonder if he is a member of this forum. Anyway, I have a question about the last video he uploaded. A lovely Morris dance tune.

The tune is this one:

I'm interested in knowing about the measure of this, specially the second part. I think the first part is 12/8 + 12/8. And the second 12/8 + 9/8 + 12/8 + 12/8. Am I right?

I love this tunes with changes in the time signature!

Fernando

Edited by fernando

The Morris Ring's tunes site has two versions, both of which seem to be in 6/8, aside from one measure in 3/8:

X: 14

T:Over the Water to Charlie, Bledington 1

M:6/8

L:1/8

A:Bledington

P:A(AB)4

K:A

P:A

|:Ace ece|fgf e2A|B2B cBA|F2G A3:|

P:B

|:fga gfe|fgf g3 |fga gfe|\

M:3/8

f2g|

aba g2e|fga e2A|B2B cBA|F2G A3:|

and:

X: 15

T:Over the Water to Charlie, Bledington 2

|:gaB gfe|fgf e2e|fga gfe|\

f2g|

aba gfe|fgf e2A|B2B cBc|F2G A3:|

The Morris Ring's tunes site has two versions, both of which seem to be in 6/8, aside from one measure in 3/8:

X: 14

T:Over the Water to Charlie, Bledington 1

|:fga gfe|fgf g3 |fga gfe|\

f2g|

aba g2e|fga e2A|B2B cBA|F2G A3:|

and:

X: 15

T:Over the Water to Charlie, Bledington 2

|:gaB gfe|fgf e2e|fga gfe|\

f2g|

aba gfe|fgf e2A|B2B cBc|F2G A3:|

Thanks jdms! but I go completely by ear, I don't understand well all these things that you write, someday I have to start working on it, mainly because of the chords, I find it very difficult to get them by ear. I'm interested in the measuring of the rhythm because I combine it with my ear to get all the tunes.

And you wrote 3/8? I didn't know that one!

Fernando

Thanks jdms! but I go completely by ear, I don't understand well all these things that you write, someday I have to start working on it, mainly because of the chords, I find it very difficult to get them by ear. I'm interested in the measuring of the rhythm because I combine it with my ear to get all the tunes.

Fernando

Can't really take credit for writing them, since I just copied and pasted from the Morris Ring site...one thing you could do for learning a tune in ABC, as these are, by ear is copy and paste the ABC notation into the Tune-O-Tron ABC Convert-O-Matic (follow the links from the c.net main page, or click here); one of the options after you hit "submit" is to play it as a midi file.

As for the time signature: both of these versions are in 6/8--that is, six beats per measure, one beat being an eighth note/quaver/corchea--except for one measure that has only three beats.

Joshua

Fernando

Can't really take credit for writing them, since I just copied and pasted from the Morris Ring site...one thing you could do for learning a tune in ABC, as these are, by ear is copy and paste the ABC notation into the Tune-O-Tron ABC Convert-O-Matic (follow the links from the c.net main page, or click here); one of the options after you hit "submit" is to play it as a midi file.

As for the time signature: both of these versions are in 6/8--that is, six beats per measure, one beat being an eighth note/quaver/corchea--except for one measure that has only three beats.

Joshua

Very nice Joshua! I tried the Tune-O-Tron before but it didn't work, but now it does! this is a very useful tool to me!

I can understand now what happens with the "change in the time signature" I was wondering about, it's that bar that you say it has only three beats. Now I remember one story that they told me about Asturian music: it happens sometimes for some tunes that when a part ends in a note and the beginning of the next part starts from the same note, then the pick up notes "disappear" making the tune shorter, and changing the rhythm for that particular measure. This is the same! and it is the first time I see an example of this!

I've been playing this tune today, I'm going to put chords to this tune, but "my chords": they are made with the same notes but one octave lower, and sometimes I keep this lower note for a few beats. This is what I'm doing for the moment with the chords, in the future I will try to experiment and try to look for alternative notes.

Thanks Joshua!

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by fernando