where are the prices going ?

andydiamond

Hi All,

Dick posted a link to a Jeffries on ebay at the moment. The seller lives about two miles from me,

so I rang him thinking to pop round and view it.

" Hello, I'm ringing about your concertina - - " "yes, well, I've done my reasearch, my Grandad left it to me,

and it's worth a lot of money " " how much have you in mind? " " at least £6000 plus, and if it doesn't make that I will pull it off ebay and keep it "

I just thought to let any bidders know they are probably wasting their time,he also mentioned there is wear on the instrument and a screw missing from the end - - - -and of course he does not play himself.

I just got to wondering who has the screw missing after all, does anyone else have a thought or two on the pricing situation ?

Andrew.

Andrew

£6,000 for a really good 30 button C/G C Jeffries, restored or with no immediate problems and in fully working condition wouldn't be exceptional I wouldn't have thought - prices might have come down if the recession in Ireland has depressed the Irish market but there are people around who have seen prices well above £6,000.

Some of the instruments which clearly need a lot of work which have gone at auction or on ebay seem to have sold for prices which indicate that the repaired cost to the musician (ie auction cost, plus repairs, plus dealer's margin) are going to be at or above the £5,500 - £6,000 level.

That's not to say there aren't bargains out there, and possibly this particular instrument is very nearly top-notch - unless you see and hear it, it's impossible to tell.

I wouldn't have thought that a bit of wear and a missing end bolt would be very costly to replace if the rest of the instrument is in shape. If we're talking about the same instrument, I do notice that he's had some bids and that there's no indication that he had a reserve in place. If that's the case, I don't see how he can withdraw the instrument now without incurring the wrath of ebay?

Alex West

Andrew

£6,000 for a really good 30 button C/G C Jeffries, restored or with no immediate problems and in fully working condition wouldn't be exceptional I wouldn't have thought - prices might have come down if the recession in Ireland has depressed the Irish market but there are people around who have seen prices well above £6,000.

Some of the instruments which clearly need a lot of work which have gone at auction or on ebay seem to have sold for prices which indicate that the repaired cost to the musician (ie auction cost, plus repairs, plus dealer's margin) are going to be at or above the £5,500 - £6,000 level.

That's not to say there aren't bargains out there, and possibly this particular instrument is very nearly top-notch - unless you see and hear it, it's impossible to tell.

I wouldn't have thought that a bit of wear and a missing end bolt would be very costly to replace if the rest of the instrument is in shape. If we're talking about the same instrument, I do notice that he's had some bids and that there's no indication that he had a reserve in place. If that's the case, I don't see how he can withdraw the instrument now without incurring the wrath of ebay?

Alex West

Hi Alex,

Thanks for that, I thought it was well overpriced, but perhaps not from what you have said.

I don't think the instrument will be in top condition however, both from his comments to me on the phone,and the fact that he has had it lying around in his house for a long time and does not play himself.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where the price goes in the auction.

Regarding pulling the instrument off ebay, it happens all the time, as long as you pull it with over 12 hours left before the aution ends, and come up with a flimsy excuse such as " item no longer available" there is no problem from ebay, and no commision to pay.

Lots of people do this just to find out what something is worth,often with no real intention of selling it.

So there we are,it looks like I am well out of touch with current prices of Jeffries,I still don't get it though,I would rather have two nice Wheatstones in different keys than one £6000 plus one.

though I appreciate others will take a different view - - - - -

Regards,Andrew.

Hi Alex,

I don't think the instrument will be in top condition however ..... the fact that he has had it lying around in his house for a long time and does not play himself.

Just a thought Andy, I have nothing to do with the sale of that eBay Jeffries, but I don't think the fact that it hasn't been played for a while automatically guarantees that it will necessarily require a lot of work.

For example, I bought a lovely Jeffries about a year ago, that had actually been lying quietly in the player's son's house, since he died in the early 50s, so for 60 years & yet this is still well in tune with itself, the bellows are great & it has no Reed problems, other than the fact that it is in old pitch, so sharp G/D.

Of course, nobody in their right mind would even dream of spending something like £6,000 on one Concertina, without actually seeing & playing the instrument first ......... would they? ;)

Cheers,

Dick

Can someone enlighten me? I don't see any posting about a C/G Jeffries for sale... I checked eBay and when I search for "jeffries concertina" only that Bb/F shows up... I'm not interested in buying, I'm just very curious about how much it will go for.

The name is mis-spelt in the listing "c jeffreies anglo concertina". See item number 120683482406

Chas

Can someone enlighten me? I don't see any posting about a C/G Jeffries for sale... I checked eBay and when I search for "jeffries concertina" only that Bb/F shows up... I'm not interested in buying, I'm just very curious about how much it will go for.

See if this link works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120683482406&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Greg

See if this link works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120683482406&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Greg

Thats the one -- - - -

I see Mark is selling a beautiful Wheatstone anglo for £2500, oh, if it were only in F/C - - -I already have a lovely old Crabb in C/G, otherwise I would have been knocking on his door by now, cash in hand.

I still think that makes the idea of £6000 for a Jeffries look a tad expensive !

Thanks for the comment re old boxes in attics Dick, I always thought they did not get any better with age - unlike us lot - -so I will keep that in mind for possible future purchases.

Thanks for the comment re old boxes in attics Dick, I always thought they did not get any better with age - unlike us lot - -so I will keep that in mind for possible future purchases.

Hey Andy, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting for a minute that my Jeffries was left lying around in an attic. I'm sure it was somewhere warm, dry & well looked after all those years, it just wasn't played for 60 years! :)

No, I know what can happen when an instrument isn't looked after carefully. Check out the fiddle in this photo!

avamoss.jpg

It was actually kept, in its lovely old wooden case, under the bed of this man's old father, who had been a Fiddler for many years. When the old Fiddler died, his son found that a Mouse had chewed its way into the case, then chewed into the Fiddle itself by enlarging the F holes & had been nesting & breeding inside it!

So YES, always look before you buy! ;)

Cheers

Dick

Dick posted a link to a Jeffries on ebay at the moment. The seller lives about two miles from me, so I rang him thinking to pop round and view it.

Andrew.

Well Andrew, I see that the sale ended ..... before it should have, if I am not mistaken!

c jeffreies anglo concertina

So does anyone know what happened?

There were a whole bunch of bids on it, weren't there & if I remember correctly no Buy Now price, so how come it didn't run its course? :unsure:

Cheers

Dick

He may well have got an offer he couldn't refuse, especially given his inclination to pull it from ebay if it didnt realise the figure he had in mind.

Edited by SteveS

He may well have got an offer he couldn't refuse, especially given his inclination to pull it from ebay if it didnt realise the figure he had in mind.

Well, the seller gives his mobile number and you can always contact him via Ebay, to find out what happened to the concertina, if you want! :)

Chris

Well, the seller gives his mobile number and you can always contact him via Ebay, to find out what happened to the concertina, if you want! :)

Chris

Naaaaw Chris, I'm not that desperate .... just curious is all. ;)

I wasn't bidding, but I'd love to know how much he got for it. B)

Cheers

Dick

Chris

Naaaaw Chris, I'm not that desperate .... just curious is all. ;)

I wasn't bidding, but I'd love to know how much he got for it. B)

Cheers

Dick

Second time around may be the charm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/c-jeffries-anglo-concertina-/120685353766?pt=UK_Woodwind_Instruments&hash=item1c19685b26

This will save you a phone call, Dick.

Greg

Second time around may be the charm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/c-jeffries-anglo-concertina-/120685353766?pt=UK_Woodwind_Instruments&hash=item1c19685b26

This will save you a phone call, Dick.

Greg

Ah Ha ... thanks Greg.

I guess he just didn't like the way things were going the first time around.

Mind you, the way he pulled it out so quickly last time around, despite having some bids, is hardly likely to give any bidders much confidence, this time around! Or did it actually reach its deadline?

If not, will it stay to the end of the 9 days this time around ... or be pulled off again?

I'm just wondering, in a real life auction, can a seller actually remove an item once the auction has begun?

Cheers

Dick

I guess he just didn't like the way things were going the first time around.

Mind you, the way he pulled it out so quickly last time around, despite having some bids, is hardly likely to give any bidders much confidence, this time around! Or did it actually reach its deadline?

Looks like he must have pulled the auction to correct his spelling of Jeffries Dick, so that people could find his listing? :unsure:

I'm just wondering, in a real life auction, can a seller actually remove an item once the auction has begun?

I've seen it done, at horse auctions in Ireland... :rolleyes: