Wheatstone Aeola Anglo 40 Key C/G

Mark Davies

I have too many concertinas and need to find space in the cupboard.Wheatstone eight sided 40 Key anglo C/G modern pitch with eight fold bellows in pristine condition with an original case in similar condition No 57062.The action is fast and the sound is bright and has been played by me regularly.£2500-no offers.Email me for photographs.If anyone wants to try the instrument before buying I can arrange that.I will make the customary donation to c.net if sold via this thread.Email me for more photographs.

Mark Davies

Email:edeophone@aol.com

Wheatstone eight sided 40 Key anglo C/G modern pitch with eight fold bellows in pristine condition with an original case in similar condition No 57062. ... £2500

Dated 31st December 1954 in the ledgers, when Wheatstone's still had their own staff and premises, so it should be a much better box than the similar early-'60s one gpanda is selling and wants twice as much for...

Wheatstone eight sided 40 Key anglo C/G modern pitch with eight fold bellows in pristine condition with an original case in similar condition No 57062. ... £2500

Dated 31st December 1954 in the ledgers, when Wheatstone's still had their own staff and premises, so it should be a much better box than the similar early-'60s one gpanda is selling and wants twice as much for...

Stephen--

An interesting comment. Those of us who are less knowledgable sometimes lump all of these into a "post-WW2" category. Your distinction could help explain some of the differences in quality among these late Wheatstones. Can you tell us the approximate date between 1954 and the early 60's when things took a turn for the worse?

Dated 31st December 1954 in the ledgers, when Wheatstone's still had their own staff and premises, so it should be a much better box than the similar early-'60s one gpanda is selling...

Stephen--

An interesting comment. Those of us who are less knowledgable sometimes lump all of these into a "post-WW2" category. Your distinction could help explain some of the differences in quality among these late Wheatstones. Can you tell us the approximate date between 1954 and the early 60's when things took a turn for the worse?

Daniel,

When the "Concertina Factory" newsreel was shot, in April 1961, Wheatstone's was still being run as a semi-autonomous company within the Boosey & Hawkes Group, with its own management, staff and premises (an old house at Duncan Terrace, Islington) that they shared with the celebrated flute makers Rudall Carte & Co.

But later that year they were absorbed into the Boosey & Hawkes musical instrument factory at Edgware in North London, completely losing their own management - who were offered menial posts at B&H (Harry Minting, who was Wheatstone's Sales Manager at the time, told me they offered him a job as a ledger clerk, so he quit and opened a music shop instead...).

From then on, the firm declined until there was only one of the old Wheatstone employees left (Sid Watkins) who was sometimes helped out by the bassoon makers, "if they had nothing better to do..." :(

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I have decided not to sell this concertina.However I am still prepared to sell a similar instrument that recently failed to sell on Ebay.I attach a photograph.This concertina plays well having been completely refurbished by Wm Wakker some years.It has new eight folder Wakker bellows.Email me for further details and photographs.I have three 40 Key Wheatstone Aeola anglos in C/G and need more some room to accommodate newly purchased concertinas

post-214-0-87478400-1298020821_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mark Davies' asking price is much more reasonable for a 40 button Wheatstone Anglo than "Gpanda" of Dublin, Ireland. Mark's character and reputation is impeccable.

I would deal with Mark anyday......not the other person.

Edited by Ben