Music in Boston area

SteveS

In seems that I may have to spend a few days in March in Boston, Mass. (dates to be finalised).

Do the fine folks of this arena know of anything music-wise that may be happening in Boston area?

Thanks, Steve

Steve: There are sessions in the Boston area virtually every night. One good example is at the Green Briar (in Brighton-about 4 miles from downtown Boston). On Monday, there is an intermediate session at 7 which sometimes has over 40 players and an advanced session at 9 led by Larry Reynolds who was Comhaltas musician of the year a few years ago. Another good example is the Groton session on Wednesday (http://www.thegrotonsession.com/) that often includes a "name" leader. Or the session every Friday at the Irish Cultural Center in Canton. On most Sundays there is a session followed by a ceili in Watertown. On Tuesdays there is a session at Skelligs in Waltham,and also one at Stones (http://www.stonespublichouse.com/) in Ashland. Some of the pubs in Dorchester & Jamaica Plain have regular sessions. What days of the week do you expect to be in Boston, and where in the area will you be staying? I'll be happy to give you leads when you know more. Alan

P.S. Steve, when I wrote the above, I focused on Irish Traditional Music. If that is not your interest, there are many other opportunities for music in Boston including frequent concerts at Berklee College of Music (http://www.berklee.edu/). Berklee is known for jazz but it promotes many different styles including Celtic. There are many folk music sites in the area and also many venues for great classical music. I don't know, however, where you can go for sessions other than Irish Trad, but I am sure you will get suggestions. .

Edited by Alan Miller

Alan

Thanks for the response.

Although my main interests are English, Scottish & Scandinavian music, depending on what I'm doing and when, if there's a good craic, then I'm up for it.

I'm not sure when exactly I'll be in Boston area or where - much depends on when our customer demands my presence there - but early March has been suggested. As yet I'm not sure if I'll have a concertina with me, but I'll certainly bring my singing voice as a minimum!

I'll post more once I know some details.

Steve

Edited by SteveS

Although my main interests are English, Scottish & Scandinavian music, depending on what I'm doing and when, if there's a good craic, then I'm up for it.

There are also several Morris teams in the area.

Check out this link and scroll/search down the page for "Massachusetts" or "Boston".

Check out this link and scroll/search down the page for "Massachusetts" or "Boston".

Thanks Jim for the link.

So many Morris sides in Boston area - I'm amazed.

Thanks Jim for the link.

So many Morris sides in Boston area - I'm amazed.

What surprises me is that there are so few in Scandinavia... as far as I know, just Ekens in Sweden, Helsinki in Finland, and maybe Silkeborg in Denmark. (I can't find any reference to the Silkeborg Morris Men more recent than 2009. I think I'll try to see if their email still works.)

That American list has 17 Morris or sword teams in Minnesota alone, a state famous for its high proportion of Scandinavian descent, where many families still speak Swedish, Norwegian, or Finnish in the home ("like we did 100 years ago," says a skånska friend who visited there ;)).

• 1 month later...

In seems that I may have to spend a few days in March in Boston, Mass. (dates to be finalised).

Do the fine folks of this arena know of anything music-wise that may be happening in Boston area?

Thanks, Steve

Still no news on when I might be visiting Boston - as is the often way with business trips it will likely be last minute.

Thanks all for the replies, and I'll advise when my trip looks more likely.

Steve

Edited by SteveS