wheatstone concertina

dave sch

Hello - I am contacting you about a Wheatstone Concertina that has been in our family for about 40 years. My father bought it from an antique dealer friend who went to England on shopping trips for her antique store in Stratford Ontario Canada. It has not been played in this 40 years. I can post photos tomorrow.

Over the past few days I have researched it a bit, and found your site/group. It is hexagonal, green and white bellows, with the Wheatstone name and address on the front; the back shows a serial number that is 'rubbed out' in the centre but shows the numbers 1 - - - 38 at each end of the rubbed out area. I carefully took the top off by removing the brass screws and found the number 27 stamped inside, as I have seen on this site in photos of other pieces.

The Concertina is in a beatiful lined case, complete with key and pearl inlay around keyhole.

My interest is in finding out more about this, hopefully determining a value, and finding a good home for it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated1

Dave Sch

While you're taking pictures, you can tell us how many buttons it has. That'll be a big hint on its type and value.

It has 48 buttons. i have posted pictures ( i think ), i am new to the forum concept, can pics be emailed as well? thanks Dave

While you're taking pictures, you can tell us how many buttons it has. That'll be a big hint on its type and value.

It has 48 buttons. i have posted pictures ( i think ), i am new to the forum concept, can pics be emailed as well? thanks Dave

Still no pictures I'm afraid. :(

Actually, assuming that what you have said is correct Dave, from the serial number (which, because it seems to also have a batch number, must be either 18-38 or 19-38) the instrument can (pretty much) only be an English-system concertina, which is confirmed by its having 48 keys. In which case it is likely to be one of the "riveted-reed" Wheatstones and made between 1865 and 1881, but I can't be sure of anything without seeing it... :unsure:

... it is likely to be one of the "riveted-reed" Wheatstones and made between 1865 and 1881, but I can't be sure of anything without seeing it... :unsure:

If I'm correct in my deductions, then it should look exactly the same as this Wheatstone 48 Key English Concertina for Restoration that a leading dealer had listed on eBay recently, but it failed to sell at £500...

Otherwise, this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif