Possible Brian Peters Anglo workshop in SF Bay Area

I've been in touch with Brian about this. It would be on the evening of Thursday 2/17, at the home of a local player who lives in Albany near the Berkeley city limit. We've got a couple of people interested but need more commitments to make it happen. For more about Brian and his workshops, see this thread. If you might be interested, send me a pm or e-mail (hrshsand "at" earthlink.net) as soon as you can.

Thanks, Daniel. For those who aren't familiar with my music, I play anglo in what is sometimes called the 'English style', ie. right hand melody with left hand accompaniment. This kind of thing...

and...

Level of workshop adjustable to suit participants!

Brian

I hope you can get enough people to make it worthwhile. Brian is an outstanding player, and a jolly nice chap to boot! Have worked with him on several occasions, and his ability is marvellous (Oh, and he sings too!)

Wish I could be there....but planes are a bit expensive for a pensioner!

Good Luck.

I hope you can get enough people to make it worthwhile. Brian is an outstanding player, and a jolly nice chap to boot! Have worked with him on several occasions, and his ability is marvellous (Oh, and he sings too!)

Wish I could be there....but planes are a bit expensive for a pensioner!

Good Luck.

I'll second all of that. I have fond memories of participating in a concertina workshop with Brian and Ralphie about 18 months ago (they were playing, I was talking a bit and singing). Great player, interesting and inspirational - ALMOST made me want to learn to play the Anglo ... LOL ;)

And by the way, he has quite a fund of interesting ballads to sing and talk about as well!

Yes, that workshop was a lot of fun - always great to bounce ideas around with a superb musician like Ralph. I first heard him at a London folk club in the 1970s - back in the days before I'd ever played in public - performing with James Patterson as 'Silas'. The MC introduced Ralph as "the best duet concertina player in the world", which I took to be monstrous hyperbole until he actually started to play. He is also quite possibly the most modest and self-deprecating musician I've ever come across.

Lovely to hear from Irene too - a singer and researcher I respect a lot. Too bad you didn't take up the anglo - but I guess the duet is so much easier. ;-)

Yes, that workshop was a lot of fun - always great to bounce ideas around with a superb musician like Ralph. I first heard him at a London folk club in the 1970s - back in the days before I'd ever played in public - performing with James Patterson as 'Silas'. The MC introduced Ralph as "the best duet concertina player in the world", which I took to be monstrous hyperbole until he actually started to play. He is also quite possibly the most modest and self-deprecating musician I've ever come across.

Lovely to hear from Irene too - a singer and researcher I respect a lot. Too bad you didn't take up the anglo - but I guess the duet is so much easier. ;-)

I am still not quite sure what I was doing on board for that workshop ... but had fun doing some research and finding interesting photos of Maccann and Alexander Prince to wave around, However I had a genuinely great time listening to you chatting about and demonstrating the possibilities of your respective instruments, and being able to talk from the position of an "L" plate wearer ... LOL

As to the matter of the Anglo - nah... could never get my head round the push/pull thingy. :blink:

Moving back onto topic: I really hope the workshop goes well and deservedly gets a lot of takers, and hopefully see you in Lewes for another Ballad workshop!

Edited by Irene S

I've been in touch with Brian about this. It would be on the evening of Thursday 2/17, at the home of a local player who lives in Albany near the Berkeley city limit. We've got a couple of people interested but need more commitments to make it happen. For more about Brian and his workshops, see this thread. If you might be interested, send me a pm or e-mail (hrshsand "at" earthlink.net) as soon as you can.

The workshop is definitely going to happen: Thursday 2/17, 7:30 to 9:30 pm, $35. Contact me if you want to come or want more information.