double reeded concertina

Sue W

Hi,

Have any of you had any experience of double reeded anglo concertinas? I've had to stop playing my melodeon, at least for a while, as I've got a shoulder problem. I was thinking of playing my concertina for morris, but started wondering if a double reeded instrument might be a good long-term solution to the problem. What do you think?

Sue

Sue,

The trouble is, most double-reeded concertinas are cheap 20-key models that would be considered "entry-level" instruments by most players. There aren't (generally) any 30-key or "good-quality" ones on the market.

But if you could be a bit more specific about what you are looking for, it might be possible to suggest some options...

Two years ago I purchased a double-reeded twenty button made by Danie Labuschagne in South Africa. It is of high quality---more like a hybrid in its construction. It was not particularly expensive (I remember a price of about $600) and I have been happy with it. The bellows and action are tight. Bellows are of some sort of parchment. Not as fast as an Anglo, but then it is a double-reeded baritone CG. I would image its overall response, taking that important fact into consideration, would be not too different than a hybrid double-reeded baritone, if such an animal were to exist. Its sound is very like the German concertina (also a baritone CG double-reeded) played in recordings by Mary Ann Carolyn. If you play in octaves, like I do, then you are sounding four reeds at once, and it sounds quite melodeon-like (which was apparently how they liked to sound back in the house dance days!).

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies, and sorry if I was a little vague. For reasons to tedious to rehearse I'm moving the playing of morris tunes from the melodeon to anglo concertina. I play a Andrew Norman Jubilee G/D which I like very much. Andrew also makes a double reeded 20 button anglo, this is made to order. I've talked to Andrew about it and he's been very helpful but I am undecided so I wondered if any of you have this concertina, or something similar. If so how does it compare with a similar but single reeded anglo in terms of sound and playability. If you don't have one have you heard one played, if you're a morris musician or dancer do you think it's a better option for morris than a single reeded anglo (bearing in mind that I'm not a very experienced anglo player).

thanks

Sue