Cool new dance with concertina

Jim Besser

Well, you can't see the concertina, and the video recorder mostly picked up the bass, but the dance is very cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa38NU1cKK4&feature=player_embedded

Can anyone tell what the tune is - I am fairly new to playing the concertina and this sounds like a nice easy one.

David

Can anyone tell what the tune is - I am fairly new to playing the concertina and this sounds like a nice easy one.

David

I can't remember, but I have notation for it somewhere and will send it to you if you want. It's pretty easy on the ANglo despite the key change.

I"m playing it on a G/D, in D and A. I"m playing with a fiddle - and a Swedish nyckeharpa!

Edited by Jim Besser

David

I can't remember, but I have notation for it somewhere and will send it to you if you want. It's pretty easy on the ANglo despite the key change.

I"m playing it on a G/D, in D and A. I"m playing with a fiddle - and a Swedish nyckeharpa!

Thank you that would be kind. My e-mail address is david@bbbweb.com

David

Its called Gallopede

You can find many versions at http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind (put gallopede in the search box)

The ones that come up 1st eg number 1 are simple versions - close to the version that I know, and that they play on the video)

If you click on "abc" you can cut and paste this into the concertina net Tune a tron convertor at http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

to get a midi and a score

Chris

Its called Gallopede

You can find many versions at http://trillian.mit....gi/abc/tunefind (put gallopede in the search box)

The ones that come up 1st eg number 1 are simple versions - close to the version that I know, and that they play on the video)

If you click on "abc" you can cut and paste this into the concertina net Tune a tron convertor at http://www.concertin...es_convert.html

to get a midi and a score

Chris

Close, but it's not Gallopede, unless it's an unusual variant. The tune we use for this dance is Darga's Grandson; here are the dots:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tuneget?F=PNG&U=http://www.biff.org.uk/dave/molly.abc&X=14&T=DARGASGRANDSON

David

David

A PDF is on its way via email.

If you do ABC, here it is:

X: 1T:Darga's GrandsonT:to the tune of "Waterloo"Z:Dave Holland dave@biff.org.uk from sheet music from Andrew SwaineM:2/2L:1/8K:GP:A"G"B,2GE D2BA|G2G2 G2FG|"C"A2A2 "D"GFEF|"G"GABG "D"D2DC|"G"B,2GE "D/F"D2BA|"Em7"G2G2 G2"(D)"FG|"C"A2A2 "D"GFEF|"G"G2z2 z4:|P:BK:D"D"A2AF "G"d2dB|"D"A2AF D4|"A"CDEF GFEC|"D"DEFG "A"BAFG|"D"A2AF "G"d2dB|"D"A2AF D4|"A"CDEF GFEC|"D"D2=c2 B2c2||P:CK:G"G"d2dd dGBd|"C"e2"G"d2 "D"c2"G"B2|"D"A2A2 ADBA|"G"GFGA "D"BABc|"G"d2dd dGBd|"C"e2"G"d2 "D"c2"G"B2|"D"A2A2 ADBA|"G"GF"D"GA "G"G4|]

David

David

A PDF is on its way via email.

If you do ABC, here it is:

X: 1T:Darga's GrandsonT:to the tune of "Waterloo"Z:Dave Holland dave@biff.org.uk from sheet music from Andrew SwaineM:2/2L:1/8K:GP:A"G"B,2GE D2BA|G2G2 G2FG|"C"A2A2 "D"GFEF|"G"GABG "D"D2DC|"G"B,2GE "D/F"D2BA|"Em7"G2G2 G2"(D)"FG|"C"A2A2 "D"GFEF|"G"G2z2 z4:|P:BK:D"D"A2AF "G"d2dB|"D"A2AF D4|"A"CDEF GFEC|"D"DEFG "A"BAFG|"D"A2AF "G"d2dB|"D"A2AF D4|"A"CDEF GFEC|"D"D2=c2 B2c2||P:CK:G"G"d2dd dGBd|"C"e2"G"d2 "D"c2"G"B2|"D"A2A2 ADBA|"G"GFGA "D"BABc|"G"d2dd dGBd|"C"e2"G"d2 "D"c2"G"B2|"D"A2A2 ADBA|"G"GF"D"GA "G"G4|]

Hi Jim,

Yes you're right - I got 2, 3 part tunes that I know quite well, mixed!

We know it as "The Waterloo Dance" - thanks for the memory jog.

Chris

Your link (and others' posts) suggest that the tune is named "Waterloo". I supect that it's the dance that's named "Darga's Grandson", as it's pretty clearly a takeoff on the Playford country dance "Dargason" (with a different tune in a different meter, dating from the 16th century). And with such a punny title, I would guess that the adaptation to Morris is fairly recent.

The tune we use for this dance is Darga's Grandson; here are the dots:

http://trillian.mit....=DARGASGRANDSON

Your link (and others' posts) suggest that the tune is named "Waterloo". I supect that it's the dance that's named "Darga's Grandson", as it's pretty clearly a takeoff on the Playford country dance "Dargason" (with a different tune in a different meter, dating from the 16th century). And with such a punny title, I would guess that the adaptation to Morris is fairly recent.

Exactly. "Dargas grandson" is obviously a play on the other tune. But that's way way it was handed down to me!

"Dargas grandson" is obviously a play on the other tune. But that's way way it was handed down to me!

Beware of hand-me-downs.
;)

The tune to "Dargas' Grandson" is very different from that of "Dargason", but the dances are basically identical.

Here's the abc for the tune Jim posted in a format that makes more sense (somehow the line breaks in Jim's post got swallowed up).

X: 1
T:Darga's Grandson
T:to the tune of "Waterloo"
Z:Dave Holland dave@biff.org.uk from sheet music from Andrew Swaine
M:2/2
L:1/8
K:G
P:A
"G"B,2GE D2BA|G2G2 G2FG|"C"A2A2 "D"GFEF|"G"GABG "D"D2DC|
"G"B,2GE "D/F"D2BA|"Em7"G2G2 G2"(D)"FG|"C"A2A2 "D"GFEF|"G"G2z2 z4:|
P:B
K:D
"D"A2AF "G"d2dB|"D"A2AF D4|"A"CDEF GFEC|"D"DEFG "A"BAFG|
"D"A2AF "G"d2dB|"D"A2AF D4|"A"CDEF GFEC|"D"D2=c2 B2c2||
P:C
K:G
"G"d2dd dGBd|"C"e2"G"d2 "D"c2"G"B2|"D"A2A2 ADBA|"G"GFGA "D"BABc|
"G"d2dd dGBd|"C"e2"G"d2 "D"c2"G"B2|"D"A2A2 ADBA|"G"GF"D"GA "G"G4|]

And here's the abc to the traditional "Dargason" tune. Note the unsatisfying ending. It pretty much repeats endlessly.

X:2
T:Dargason
M:6/8
K:D
F2D D2D|F2G A>GF|G2E E2E|G2A B>AG|
F2D D2D|d2d c>BA|G2E E2E|e2d c>BA|]

Finally, Jim, do you realize that you'r playing a C# at the end of the B section instead of the notated C natural? The C natural makes a D7 chord which sets up the return to G major for the C part.

(Edited for formatting)

Edited by David Barnert

Finally, Jim, do you realize that you'r playing a C# at the end of the B section instead of the notated C natural? The C natural makes a D7 chord which sets up the return to G major for the C part.

(Edited for formatting)

Hmmm. I see what you're saying, I think I prefer the C#.

I guess I sent along the ABCs in G and D; in the video I"m playing in D and A, on the G/D concertina. I vary the keys a lot because I use the C/G concertina if I"m playing alone, which is frequently, the G/D if I'm playing with fiddlers.

Hmmm. I see what you're saying, I think I prefer the C#.

I guess I sent along the ABCs in G and D; in the video I"m playing in D and A, on the G/D concertina.

So much for absolute pitch. I guess then the note I'm talking about is a G# rather than a G natural, which would make an A7 chord setting up the D.