Should I go for this DVD to learn?

I have a 20 key Anglo and am learning to play. We have a tutor in the town nearest to me but he only teaches the 40 key and I can't justify buying a new concertina.

I have found a DVD on EBay called Learn to Play Irish Concertina by John Williams.

I have two questions:

1. Is this DVD any good?

2. Is it suitable for my 20 key?

Any help would be appreciated.

David

I am surprised that a tutor won't take you on - a 40-key still based around the 20-keys you have, and you could learn the basics. I see you are based in Suffolk - there are plenty of squeezebox players around there. I suggest you contact East Anglia Traditional Music Trust www.eatmt.org.uk to see if they can put you in touch with someone. You might also be interested in their "Melodeons and More" day on 26 March - the "more" includes a beginners concertina workshop.

Of course EATMT are all about English music, and specifically the East Anglian traditions. If you are more interested in playing Irish music you could try contacting Comhaltas - I believe they have a branch in Cambridge.

I see you are based in Suffolk - there are plenty of squeezebox players around there. I suggest you contact East Anglia Traditional Music Trust www.eatmt.org.uk to see if they can put you in touch with someone. You might also be interested in their "Melodeons and More" day on 26 March - the "more" includes a beginners concertina workshop.

Indeed, for traditional-style Suffolk melodeon playing, C still seems to be regarded as "concert pitch" - so David should have no problem with a 20-key C/G Anglo...

If you are more interested in playing Irish music you could try contacting Comhaltas - I believe they have a branch in Cambridge.

He should also listen to recordings of Mary McNamara and older-style players like Kitty Hayes or Mrs. Crotty, who'd play a lot "along the row" in C.