Heart Attack - Dropped 'Tina

Opened the back door of my truck, and my concertina (in its case) had shifted from where I put it on top of a duffle, and came tumbling out. Fell somewhere between 3 and 4 feet, landing on the pavement upsidedown.

I don't see any obvious damage, and it seemed to play fine but I won't get to really give it a play until later.

Reinforces my belief in a well padded, hardshell case.

NNY

The first thing that would happen is the possibility of a reed coming loose in its dovetail and if you have played it and no problems then fantastic. Sometimes it can dislodge a bit of dirt from a bellows fold and after a short while it may work its way under a reed.

My heart attack situation was at Sidmouth when a full pint of beer went into the end of my Jeffries. I never put it in the case now without the lid down. I have said this before, but worth mentioning again,

Al

Many years ago I'd been leading the singing in the local to see the new year in. This was in my PA days, long before I was enlightened.

I used to wear my accordion like a rucksack for walking any distance. En route to a friend's for a coffee afterwards we were going up a steeply sloped footpath covered in packed snow and I slipped. I went over like I'd been poleaxed; flat on my back from standing, wallop. Or rather the accordion hit the ground with me on top of it. I'm 6' 1" and well built; it was quite a crash. We both survived unharmed. (It was an 80b Weltmeister; maybe not very sophisticated but damn tough as I discovered several times)

Our cat dropped a live mouse in the dining room ,lovely looking thing and I tried to catch it but failed. I prefer live mice to dead ones so left a bit of cheese near the patio door to train it to go there. In the morning I could not believe the destruction caused by this little thing. It had chewed right through a key tassel, chewed the eye, nose and part of the face of an imitation hedgehog, a present to my Wife from our Grandson. It had somehow climbed up the side of a wall mounted mirror to the top and chewed through a decorative wreath left over from the Xmas decorations. It had one chance ,I left another piece of cheese in the same place by the patio door with the door opened wide enough for the mouse to get through. "Either he takes his chance or the cats are let in there tonight". He decided to leg it, so he is out there somewhere training his mates to take over the World. All they want for the gang to finish the job is a Macaw.

Al :ph34r:

I never put it in the case now without the lid down.

Al

I had to chuckle at this. Mine never goes in the case at home with out closing the lid, because my Macaw is a destructive little bugger, and likes to chew things up.

Mine is a Blue and Gold, just like this guy. Whoever wrote this ad must have experience with them, because he is spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZi64ZeRmww

NNY

The first thing that would happen is the possibility of a reed coming loose in its dovetail and if you have played it and no problems then fantastic. Sometimes it can dislodge a bit of dirt from a bellows fold and after a short while it may work its way under a reed.

My heart attack situation was at Sidmouth when a full pint of beer went into the end of my Jeffries. I never put it in the case now without the lid down. I have said this before, but worth mentioning again,

Al

Bernard Wrigley used to joke about having to pour a pint of Guinness into his big bass English, but I don't think he recommended it for anyone else!

Hmm, well, I do really hope your 'tina is okay. I dropped mine two weeks before Sidmouth last year - she just fell out of her case and crashed onto the metal base plate of my narrowboat. She fell to pieces despite almost breaking the fall with my foot. Although she seemed playable at first (once I'd got handy with the black gaffer tape) it became clear over a week of playing and teaching that she'd was a very poorly concertina indeed.

Colin prised my grubby mitts off her at Ed Rennie's Access All Areas day at Cheriton Bishop in October (recommended if I can persuade him to run it this year) and she's come back from her sojourn at Heytesbury a much improved Edeophone. I suppose it's an ill wind that blows sometimes; I was mortified beyond belief and having her back is a joy. Moral of the story ... don't be cavalier with your beloved .....

Many years ago, in Australia, a fellow came to me with a concertina in a very battered looking box... he explained that he had not opened the lid since he had reversed his car over it. Packing the car after a gig on a hot day he had place the concertina in the shade, under the car whilst loading in the rest of his stuff and forgetting that he had done this untill the crunching noises started.

A wooden ended Wheatstone makes for quite an interesting jigsaw puzzle in these situations... not to be recommended !!

As I recall all the parts did go back in place and it did continue to play well... hoepfully still is.

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Oh dear Geoff your story has just reminded me of the day I backed my car over a Antique Silver Best in Show cup just won by our dog at a large and important Dog Show. I flattened it.

A Silversmith managed to hammer it back into shape but it did make my heart race a bit when the car started climbing up into the air when the wheel ran over it.

An expensive mistake.

Al

Aye cars are just too dangerous when it comes to small dogs. I have 3, so I couldn't possibly keep my eye on all of them any time I move my car, so they always go either into the house ... or into the car.

Thankfully I haven't caused or had any bad accidents with my Concertinas, but a dopey barman did once walk into & trip over the leg of my Hammered Dulcimer stand one night! :( Sadly, the fall completely wrecked one of it's two main bridges & I had to order another from Gordon at Oakwood.

I did know a bloke who carefully placed his Fiddle, in it's vintage wooden case, on the roof of his car, before climbing in & forgetting all about it! Mind you, he did remember it .... quite suddenly in fact as he reversed right over the top of it, completely destroying it! :o

Reminds me too that last week, a woman in Ireland left her car running with her baby inside, while she dashed into a filling station, only to have someone steal her car, baby & all!

Now surely a baby is probably the single most treasured possession any of us are ever likely to have, having said that, although I occasionally leave an instrument locked up out of sight in the boot, I never, ever leave my car unlocked, & would certainly never think of doing so with any instruments inside, never mind a child! A habit which goes back to my days in Pest Control, when my van used to have everything from Pesticides & Rodenticides to Insecticides & sometimes even Cyanide Pellets & believe it or not, now & then even Strychnine too!

Now just imagine what sort of a crazy party a druggy could have with that lot, on a Saturday night! :blink:

Anyway, I'm very happy to hear that your Concertina wasn't damaged NNY.

Cheers

Dick