box anti-theft

Kautilya

Are you an average box owner, half blind, half deaf, couldn't hobble to catch a thief -- then this is for you!!

Just bought and it works a treat, with big hasp to get round box straps and a chair leg/ radiator pipe etc....

today!

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_17313.htm

to prevent ear drum splitting while arming, stick your hand over the speaker....

Are you an average box owner, half blind, half deaf, couldn't hobble to catch a thief -- then this is for you!!

Just bought and it works a treat, with big hasp to get round box straps and a chair leg/ radiator pipe etc....

today!

to prevent ear drum splitting while arming, stick your hand over the speaker....

Looks and sounds rather alarming to me. But if it does the job!

Chris

today!

Looks and sounds rather alarming to me. But if it does the job!

Chris

I shouldnt let you get away with that one, you trying to raise the tone level of the post :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , but as usual you have left me fumbling for a better B) ri-post!

I suppose it only goes off if someone tries to pick the lock? Otherwise, no protection at all from someone swiping the box and running off to open it later. I know we can be quite proud of our fancy cases that obviously hold something small and valuable (and easily grabbed), but the best solution I've seen yet is to put that nice case in a ratty old backpack. Easy to carry, and no one will ever suspect what's inside!

I suppose it only goes off if someone tries to pick the lock? Otherwise, no protection at all from someone swiping the box and running off to open it later. I know we can be quite proud of our fancy cases that obviously hold something small and valuable (and easily grabbed), but the best solution I've seen yet is to put that nice case in a ratty old backpack. Easy to carry, and no one will ever suspect what's inside!

I carry my concertina in its case inside an orange Sainsbury's Supermarket plastic bag, to disguise it. It makes it look less obvious as to what it could be. And plastic bags are free!

Chris

Waht? You can't arm it without setting it off? Not for me!

For that matter, if it were set off in a crowded pub -- even in a noisy session, -- you might find the others in the room more angry at you for having brought it in than at someone else for trying to steal your instrument.

And plastic bags are free!

Not everywhere. (E.g., in Danish supermarkets you have to pay for them.)

In fact, in some places it's now illegal for stores to hand them out.
B)

Several supermarket chains in England (don't know about the rest of the UK) have tried with varying success to limit the use of plastic bags for environmental reasons by either charging for them, banning them completely, or providing strong recyclable paper bags with handles instead. Sainsburys' did try a while back to encourage customers to use less free, thin plastic bags and to buy strong re-usable plastic bags and jute bags instead but with limited success. They are back to giving out free plastic ones, en masse, again, it seems. :(

Chris

Nooooooooooooooooo!! Nothing to do with picking the lock.

There is a a movement sensor and loudspeaker in the hefty padlock.

You attach it to whatever and if someone tries to pick up that whatever it is attached to it first triggers a warning of three v loud beeps and if it moves again then siren starts.

you can also attach it to the handle of your back door - and give burglars a big fright if they try to get in :)

Surely you dont need a sound file and a video! :lol:

I carry my concertina in its case inside an orange Sainsbury's Supermarket plastic bag, to disguise it. It makes it look less obvious as to what it could be. And plastic bags are free!

Chris

I used a Fortnum and Mason's plastic bag till I got mugged by a thief in drag carrying a Sainsbury's bag - They operate in London and New York

Luckily they caught him on camera after he found an Edeophone in a waste bin after a runaway Broadway musical success.

He'd stashed his trade mark Sainsbury's bag out of sight..

The notes say it won the "Golden Chris Award" !

Edited by Kautilya

There is a a movement sensor and loudspeaker in the hefty padlock.

You attach it to whatever and if someone tries to pick up that whatever it is attached to it first triggers a warning of three v loud beeps and if it moves again then siren starts.

So if you have it under the table or your chair at a crowded session and it gets bumped twice (maybe even by your own feet), the entire pub is subjected to an audio assault to rival an indoor troop of highland pipes? :ph34r:

I think I would be neither surprised nor unsympathetic if a bystander grabbed the "hefty padlock" itself for use in what the law calls "assault with a blunt instrument". :o

If you look up on Ebay "luggage alarm". You will find some excellent little cheap (£4.99) devices. Just attach the tiny transmitter discreetly to your instrument strap or any other suitable point and keep the receiver in your pocket. The moment you and your instrument are more than a couple of metres apart (set distance adjustable) the alarm goes off. Loud enough to hear, not loud enough to drown a session. These things are very inexpensive, and while not the perfect answer, do present one line of defense against theft. I've used one for a couple of years now, and apart from false alarms getting up to go to the toilet it is ideal. Even the false alarms remind you to tell a friend to keep an eye on the instrument if you don't take it with you.

Watch out for low price and high postage as with all gadgets coming from Hong Kong on Ebay. There are UK resellers, but the HK dealers seem pretty honest too.

Simon

Edited by Simon H

• 4 months later...
And plastic bags are free!

Not everywhere. (E.g., in Danish supermarkets you have to pay for them.)

In fact, in some places it's now illegal for stores to hand them out.
B)

Off concertina topic, but I wish they'd make those bags illegal here in the US, Jim! :ph34r:

Edited by saguaro_squeezer

That's one strange concertina. I've never seen a round one like that. How does it work? Do you put your fingers over the little holes and the black bladder around the outside provides the air, or do you spin it and hold you fingers over them kind of like a hurdy gurdy? Does look like you'd get a lotta miles out of it. I hope the manufacturer has a good year, last I heard, they had a problem with the disc breaking and you had to replace the pads every 10,000 miles. Certainly is a new spin on an old design, but, why re-invent the wheel?

So, does the lock make a squeeling sound? I'm sure it stops the rubber, er, Robber in their tracks. Does it come with Lo-Jack? It would be great if it did so you could disable it in the middle of the thief's session.

OK, I've treaded in this thread long enough.

Never mind.

I can't believe I'm about to post this, but, here goes! "CLICK"