Smoking The Musicians Curse

It's okay, Michael,

You are in the right geographical area. Sometimes, in the same space above or below the threads where the Edgley and Tedrow ads are, other ads appear. The concertina related ones are more prevalent, and they change even if you leave the thread and come back. So you may just not being hitting the threads when one of these other ads are appearing.

Hope this helps.

Helen

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh too funny. I came onto this thread and saw two ads about smoking. [snip] ...

Helen

I think those ads are from the "placed by google" machine :ph34r: which must scan the page for key words and select appropriate ads for the content of the page.

Samantha

The proposal is on the net somewhere, I know because I signed a petition last year, but I have no idea where. :(

<snip..>

I am not sure but I somehow thought that it was already in force.

The regulation was used to cause the landlord who was to host the lunchtime pub session for the ICA AGM in Nov. 2002 to have to cancel it. For a similar story, and its effects on a Morris Dance side see

here.

I am sad to hear that there is a ban on children in pubs in Ireland,I was not aware of it or is it only for this event? One of the major things I was impressed with in Ireland was the wonderful way children were integrated in most activities including dances etc and some of the children`s playing of instruments was fantastic and would mean your music traditions will live on for generations.If this encouragement is being suppressed, someone is making a massive mistake.

As far as smoking is concerned ,there will be initial problems for smokers to make adjustments and I hope eventually stop altogether,if not only for their own health but other peoples,including terrible fires that have wiped out whole families due to someone falling asleep with a lighted cigarette in their hand.

Al

About kids not being able to enter pubs anymore, it's important to know that the irish government is trying to fight a big problem in Ireland: alcoholism and kids drinking. I'm sure that when you spend 10 years, from 8 to 18, going with the parents at the pub, see them drink and see people smoke all around it must have some effect on the odds that you are going to end up drinking and smoking.

I'm sure that when you spend 10 years, from 8 to 18, going with the parents at the pub, see them drink and see people smoke all around it must have some effect on the odds that you are going to end up drinking and smoking.

Probably yes, but I've always seen banning things from kids as the quickest way to get them to try them out as soon as they get the chance, illegally or legally, and often with unfortunate consequences.

Guest Peter Laban

The subject has been discussed on various message boards and mailing lists. but the way I see it there's no harm in taking music and children away from noisy pubs where the drinkers only get in the way of the music anyhow. In the area where I am living there is a session being held every second week for the 7 to 14 year olds, they play music, dance a set, have a bit of fun (plenty of taytos and fizzy drinks handy) and they get a guest musician each time to finish up things, who plays some of his/her own music, tells a few stories and then plays some tunes with the young crowd. They absolutely love it to bits and it is of much more benefit to them I think than being dragged out by their parents to the local pub to play their tunes. My own son goes out to that young session and he's mad about it, he has had the opportunity to hear a wealth of musicians (Eamonn Cotter, Paul Dooley, Jackie Daly, Kitty Hayes, Dympna O Sullivan, Paddy Canny just to name a few) and to play with them. Music does not depend on pubs when people want to play.

Children are allowed in pubs by the way but not after nine.

It is indeed, Alan sad to see that kids can no longer play music in the pubs in ireland after 9.pm. Of course, we understand the reasoning behind the governments decision, but , quite frankly, I have been teaching in a rather large school of music for over 15 years, and have accompanied young performers all over the place, and I have never encountered any problems with underage drinking, neither, I might add has my collegues. The problem stands not just with irresponsible parents, but also the publican who is out to make a fast buck any way they can. I'm sure this is not a problem confined only to Ireland.I was in the u.k in february and encountered quite a few underage drinkers, not at all connected to music.

Hope I'm not shouting too loud...

Sounds more like the Ireland I remember Peter.

You can shout as loud as you like H. I for one, will enjoy your comments, it is why I started this debate in the first place,as long as you let me shout back on the odd occasion.

Al

Well, Al, I'll put this here because you are the one with the power to influence the google ads.

When I was clicking onto the forum section, there was an ad for squeeze boxes - they were juice. I love it.

Helen

Paul has added a whole new dimension to the forum. Zany ads that have a skewed dimension. Fun. :lol: :D :o

Guest Peter Laban

it only goes to show you that an attractive session ca nbe run outside a pub. The ceol na nOg is organised by local whislte/flute teacher Brid O Donoghue, to give her student a bit of an outlet, to create an opportunity to play tunes within their own age group and to give them the opportunity to meet older musicians, hear their music and their stories.

In my experience the young ones love going there, my own son goes there and I have taken over from Brid a couple of times when she was otherwise engaged, I also was guest musician on occasion. Different angles covered so).

There's always great excitement over the guest, it's a mystery guest and nobody knows who's goign to turn up. I remember turning up one night to collect my young fellow and there they were playing away, sitting around Paddy Canny with JC Talty joining him on the whistle, doing the old Tulla band stuff. The guests equally enjoy playing for and with the young ones, the essence of 'passing it on'.

It does requiere the input from someone willing to organise it without making money out of it who has the connections to organise a musician each time as a guest (living in an area where there's a high density of musicianers helps). It beats any pub session in my book for it's lack of distraction and noise.

(edited t ofix typos)

Edited by Peter Laban

When I was clicking onto the forum section, there was an ad for squeeze boxes - they were juice. I love it.

I really wonder what criteria Google uses. I think the only Google ads I've seen so far that weren't already among the Concertina.net advertisers are the pair for Jeffries banking and Jeffries something else (see how much attention I paid the ads?). No squeezable juices, no skunk odors or other perfumes, no razor wire. How does one get to be among the priveleged few? :(

Edited to say: Well, well, well. Having just written the above, I have almost immediately been presented with an ad for "fencing". I'm pretty sure that's the first it's been presented to me. The coincidence of timing is remarkable... so I'm remarking on it. :)

Edited by JimLucas

Peter,

These sound like great sessions, and are exactly what's needed for our younger musicians.We do something similar, we call them Teach Siamsa Recitals, and we run them over the winter months. We've had lots of great players including the Scahill brothers, Caoimhin O' Raghallaigh and mick O' Brien, Jackie Daly and Seamus Creagh with PAul de Grae, Tim Collins. Aidan mc mahon, Anthony Quigney, Gerry Harrington with Nancy Conescu, Micheal o Raghallaigh, John Wynne and Clodagh Boylan...to name some. The spirit in which these fine players accomodate the younger players is remarkable...They'll sit for hours and play with them. This is organised by a few die hards whose only interest is in promoting the music and handing down traditions. No government sponsorship has become available for this, even though the Arts Council of Ireland has millions at it's disposal every year, in fact only a very small percentage of funding is given to traditional arts. It's an age old argument, maybe this year our esteemed leaders will finally see the light.

Keep up the good work,

helen

Guest Peter Laban

Considering who are on the commission that is looking into the financing of the traditional arts I only see more darkness ahead.

Edited by Peter Laban