Lachenal for Sale

bosaroba

For sale: ~1856 rosewood, 48 button Lachenal - English. Excellent condition. Mellow sound. Was restored by and purchased at Barleycorn in 2003 and has under 5 hours of playing since then. Serial # - 25826. Case is in excellent condition.

post-9109-0-53615700-1295378264_thumb.jpgpost-9109-0-03162600-1295378295_thumb.jpgpost-9109-0-55471500-1295378310_thumb.jpg

Edited by bosaroba

I am still gathering information about what it is worth. Perhaps someone on this forum can suggest a price range, or describe some recent similar sale.

I recently bought a Wheatstone, it's similar to the concertina you are selling, I bought it in this forum, the thread is this:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12178

I'm not thinking in buying another concertina at the moment, but I'm curious about how are the prices for the Lachenals. If one day I get to save some money, maybe I could buy one of these.

Fernando

I am still gathering information about what it is worth. Perhaps someone on this forum can suggest a price range, or describe some recent similar sale.

Does it have brass reeds? I own a similar early (possibly 1860's) Rosewood-ended Lachenal treble EC with brass reeds. It does not have the corner decorations that yours has but otherwise looks the same. A Lachenal would be worth a bit less than the equivalent Wheatstone of the period. I paid £500 for mine five years ago, fully restored, so I am speculating that it would now be worth around £750-£800 or approx 1200+ US Dollars.

Chris

I recently bought a Wheatstone, it's similar to the concertina you are selling...

I think you'll find the one you bought is much better Fernando.

I really like mine Stephen! I'm playing it all the time! I don't know much about concertinas, and by the look of the photographs of this concertina I thought it was similar to mine. Because Lachenal is a famous brand and it has wooden endings as well. But I don't know the insides of this concertina, and I'm sure you know it well Stephen. Thanks for the information, It's good to know.

Fernando

Does it have brass reeds? I own a similar early (possibly 1860's) Rosewood-ended Lachenal treble EC with brass reeds. It does not have the corner decorations that yours has but otherwise looks the same. A Lachenal would be worth a bit less than the equivalent Wheatstone of the period. I paid £500 for mine five years ago, fully restored, so I am speculating that it would now be worth around £750-£800 or approx 1200+ US Dollars.

Chris

Do you really think EC prices have gone up 50% in the last 5 years? I'm not saying they haven't , I have no idea. That just seems surprising.

To the original poster - I would think the price you paid for it is a pretty reasonable starting point given you only bought it 7 years ago. There is a premium for buying from a reputable dealer offset by at least some amount of inflation. Chris Algar is a really nice guy. Try calling him and asking how prices have changed in the last 7 years for instruments like yours. That might give you a percentage over (or under) your purchase price to set expectations.

Edited by Randall Cayford

For sale: ~1856 rosewood, 48 button Lachenal - English. Excellent condition. Mellow sound. Was restored by and purchased at Barleycorn in 2003 and has under 5 hours of playing since then. Serial # - 25826. Case is in excellent condition.

Serial no 25826 would date to the mid 1880s according to Wes Williams guide. Certainly this does not look like an 1850s concertina.

Have you looked at Chris Algar's website? He gives some general guidance there on prices.

Chris

Do you really think EC prices have gone up 50% in the last 5 years? I'm not saying they haven't , I have no idea. That just seems surprising.

It would seem that they have. Three years ago I bought a very nice metal-ended Lachenal Edeophone 48 key EC treble from Chris Algar for £1800. Last year, at Sidmouth, he was selling an identical Edeophone, just a few hundred serial numbers different from mine, in equally nice condition. His asking price? £2600. That's a 40% in just 3 years. So, a 50% increase in 5 years, seems reasonable, at a guess.

Chris

For sale: ~1856 rosewood, 48 button Lachenal - English. ... Serial # - 25826.

Serial no 25826 would date to the mid 1880s according to Wes Williams guide. Certainly this does not look like an 1850s concertina.

In fact Louis Lachenal was building similar-looking concertinas for Wheatstone's (their 12 Guinea "Concert Model") in the 1850s and early 1860s, but he didn't make any concertinas under his own name until 1858. (See my paper Some Notes on Lachenal ConcertinaProduction and Serial Numbers.)

Based purely on an average production of 833 English-system concertinas per annum (or 69.5 monthly), and starting their numbering at #6000, then Lachenal #25826 would have been made in April 1882, but that cannot be regarded as by any means definitive... :huh:

Edited by Stephen Chambers