Good/cheaper camcorder Kodak Zi8

Kautilya

Someone here on the 'other side' was recently asking about camcorders. Can't find thread so giving up after 15 mins search...

BUT I am told it is worth looking at the Kodak zi8 which is a preferred HD video/sound handy (shirt pocket size) unit amongst the global 'unpacking' fraternity'

AND

because it has dropped by at least 50 per cent in price to around 70 quid -- they must have upped production as it is so popular. :)

ps it seems there is also an unofficial wide angle lense attachment which can be bought off ebay which would be good for left and right closeup work

http://www.bing.com/search?q=zi8+wide+angle+lens+ebay&go=&form=QBLH&filt=all&qs=n&sk=.

pps - battery life (60 to 80mins) not that good it seems and power transformer allegedly may cause hum on sound track. But batteries cheap enough to buy several to keep as charged spares

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=klic-7004&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=37546556&ref=pd_sl_292kh9b2uw_p

Hmmm but there are hints here that (see the comments - search for AGC) it has automatic gain control that can't be turned off, even with an external mic input. That means it modifies the audio recording levels - turning them up when the sound is quiet, and down when it's loud, which is horrible for music recording.

Hmmm but there are hints here that (see the comments - search for AGC) it has automatic gain control that can't be turned off, even with an external mic input. That means it modifies the audio recording levels - turning them up when the sound is quiet, and down when it's loud, which is horrible for music recording.

Maybe, but I did the following recording a few months ago to test the quality of the sound for concertinas, and I think the sound was good enough, for me anyhow. I was using a Sony external microphone.

Maybe, but I did the following recording a few months ago to test the quality of the sound for concertinas, and I think the sound was good enough, for me anyhow. I was using a Sony external microphone.

The sound issue;

I am told there is an adjustable volume function on the Zi8.

Perhaps this helps.

http://www.camcorderinfo.co.uk/content/Kodak-Zi8-Camcorder-Review-37640/Audio-amp-Other-Features.htm?redirected=www.CamcorderInfo.com%2Fcontent%2FKodak-Zi8-Camcorder-Review-37640%2FAudio-amp-Other-Features.htm

The price issue is that at the moment it seems there is nothing at this low price which offers SD Card rather than fixed internal memory which you have to download when u are full, HDefintition1080 and 720 at 60 frames per second for fast moving stuff, and a tripod slot.

I am also told (dont blame me!) that Zoom have now brought out a camera with 1080 aaa batteries etc like the Zi8 BUT with Zoom's own built in condenser mikes: the Zoom Q3HD but the price is in the 170 to 190 GBP range.

Edited by Kautilya