Musical perception 35%

Emotional connection 2%

Social creativity 13%

Musical curiosity 38%

group the music 0

Match the beat 15/18

Out of nine 6 high 3 medium

Melody memory 7/12

T'would be beyond me - still trying to get permission to sit my 11-minus!

But you should hear me on my new, first triangle which has now had two outings. I never get a wrong note -- although I do miss some :ph34r: :ph34r:

anyone else had a go at doing it?

Looking at my results....you'd think they'd recommend me not to try music. lol!

Enthusiasm for music 60%

Musical perception 99%

Emotional connection 82%

Social creativity 92%

Musical curiosity 5%

group the music; I grouped all the jazz together but but didn't even realise 'hiphop' was music...one group of 4 out of 4

Match the beat 16/18

Tap the beat 4 high 3 medium 2 low. Don't think I understood that one properly and I'm not sure how good a percussion instrument a space bar is anyway...

Melody memory 11/12

Enthusiasm for music 83%

Musical perception 99%

Emotional connection 41%

Social Creativity 99%

Musical curiosity 94%

I also grouped all the jazz together and mixed up the others.

Match the beat was also 16/18

Tap the beat gave peculiar results, I think that not all my taps were picked up as the display did not always change.

Melody memory 10/12, I did get distracted during a couple....

I think that the emotional connection thing is a bit peculiar, perhaps I interpret the questions differently?

Seeing as I like to play off the beat I'm not worried :)

Robin Madge

My results:

Enthusiasm for music 62%

Musical perception 99%

Emotional connection 57%

Social creativity 88%

Musical curiosity 96%

group the music 0? Those blips of clips are tooooooooo short!!!

Match the beat 11/18

Out of nine 2 high 4 medium 3 low

Melody memory 9/12

Hmm...

HI

enthusiasm for music 92%

musical perception 32%

emotional connection 19%

social creativity 56%

musical curiosity 65%

group the music ????

match the beat 13 out of 18

tap the beat 5 high 3 med 1 low

melody memory 8 out of 12

not sure what it shows - still it passed a bit of timesmile.gif

anyone else had a go at doing it?

Looking at my results....you'd think they'd recommend me not to try music. lol!

Which is precisely why you should never ever ever EVER let anyone else tell you whether or not you "should" or "should not" play music, "should" or "should not" play a particular instrument, etc.

Some things on the test don't go deeply enough to get good answers, and I don't know how they could. For instance, my lowest score was in the "social" category, playing with others and composing. I used to play with others a lot, but since my hearing has deteriorated with age and abuse, I've backed off because it has become more frustrating than satisfying. Also, I've written tunes since I was a boy; I can't think of a time I haven't, so whatever markers they were using for that category misfired. (To be fair, they said I "may" have a problem imagining new melodies).

Some things are based on personal experience and training, not on any innate musical ability. I scored 12 for 12 on melody memory, but as a singer, I've spent my whole life transposing melodies into my vocal range; that's not an innate ability at all but a result of constant practice.

Still these things are fun, and I had fun doing it. If I were a behavioral psychologist or music pedagogue, this is the exact kind of thing I'd be hip deep in designing, because the challenge is to see how well you can define the undefinable, and what researcher can resist that?

If I were a behavioral psychologist or music pedagogue, this is the exact kind of thing I'd be hip deep in designing, because the challenge is to see how well you can define the undefinable, and what researcher can resist that?

what like defining folk music? ;)

My results:

Enthusiasm for music 95%

Musical perception 99%

Emotional connection 89%

Social creativity 67%

Musical curiosity 96%

Group the music 0, but I grouped 3 out of 4 correctly twice; that's worth an "attaboy," isn't it?

Match the beat 15/18;

Tap the beat, 3 high 4 medium 2 low:I did better when I "whacked" the space bar rather than "tapped" it.

Melody memory 12/12; I've had lots of practice on this one.

It would be interesting to see how the scores for Musical Perception correlate to years of experience playing music. My bias is to see this as a result of practice, so it would be fun to see the statistical result.

If I were a behavioral psychologist or music pedagogue, this is the exact kind of thing I'd be hip deep in designing, because the challenge is to see how well you can define the undefinable, and what researcher can resist that?

what like defining folk music? ;)

EXACTLY!!

No matter how close you get, you're still wrong, which means you can research another paper.

Or buy another round, if you're in the pub. tongue.gif

Hmmm. I am sceptical.

This test gave me 99% for musical perception, although it takes me a very long time to pick up a tune, and I often "hear" a different version and have to correct it later.

On the other hand, it gave me only 62% for enthusiasm, yet I consider music to be one of the most important things in my life; I own two concertinas and practise every day; and I write and sing songs.

Hmmm. I am sceptical.

Surely not????

I got a wopping 5% for 'musical curiosity' If I remember the questions aright I'd think that would be more because I am too mean to buy cds or go to a concert in the hope I might like it than because I'm completely disinterested.

I am curious about

1) What they are doing with the 'how sure are you?' backup questions? Or was that factored into the results somehow?

2) Why can we only get 99% on the perception? Even if they have odd numbers of questions surely they can tell it to round 99% to 100%?

3) Have we all just supplied the data for some BBC executive's son's college dissertation free of charge? (not that I really care; it's kept me, and obviously others amused)

Definitely the multi choice questions told me as much about the questioner's preconceptions as my answers told the questioner about me. How many years of "formal training" do most folk musicians have? How many instruments do I "play"? I can get a tune out of a trumpet, a cornet, and any other 3 valve brass instrument, but that doesn't mean I play one. Is someone who plays 3 instruments badly more musical than a virtuoso with a single instrument? I agree that music sets the mood - which is why I often prefer to do other things in silence, so the music doesn't distract me. Does that make me more or less musical? Can I "imagine" living without music? yes, I can - as I can "imagine" living without my legs. And so on.

My Results

Enthusiasm for Music 49%

Musical Perception 60%

Emotional Connection 28%

Social Creativity 70%

Musical Curiosity 90%

Group the music - skipped - I found the clips too short. I needed to hear just a little more.

Match the beat 12/18

Tap the Beat 6 high, 2 medium, 1 low

I seem to have lost melody memory - Ah well! too late now.

Like others, I'm not sure what it tells me, but as others said, it was an interesting diversion.

They certainly have it wrong on emotional connection as I often find music profoundly moving.

They certainly have it wrong on emotional connection as I often find music profoundly moving.

I got the same low score on emotional connection,

I think that may be because I did a bit too much agree/disagree rather than completely agree/disagree (well I am British after all!:unsure:)

I got the same low score on emotional connection,

I think that may be because I did a bit too much agree/disagree rather than completely agree/disagree (well I am British after all!:unsure:)

True. It is well known that people responding to these Agree/Disagree type scales* will tend to avoid the extremes and I was no exception. Although music is an important part of my personal life, I do have a family and I do have to think about their needs as well, even though both my daughters are now grown up and one has a child of her own. So some of the scores probably reflect that.

* Called "Lickert Scales" in the trade (I worked in a university before I retired)

Edited by Tootler