Panic

I reached down to open my concertina box (one I rarely use) and it was locked !!

Top marks for performance, Al! I'm sure the music was good, too.

My favourite show-stopper was as follows:

I sing Irish songs in Germany, so I usually give a spoken synopsis of each song up front, so that the audience will at least know whether they're supposed to laugh, cry or be stirred by it.

One evening, I waxed particularly eloquent about a song, and by the time I'd finished the introduction, I'd forgotten what key it was in, what note it started on, and what the first words of the lyrics were. Gone! No idea! Blank! So when it hadn't returned to me after a few seconds, I heard myself saying, "Well, I've told you the whole story of that song, so we might as well go on to the next!"

The chuckles and cries of disappointment gave me the time I needed to search my grey matter, and fortunately the start of the song surfaced.

So take hope, you young 'uns - when you get over 60, your memory will get rather unreliable, but by that time you'll have enough routine to compensate for it. :)

Cheers,

John

Some of the audience was at Charlwood last night and the main topic of conversation was the locked concertina box. Many thought it was part of the act ,so it just shows how laughing at ones own misfortunes , turning it into a joke and carrying on can in fact turn a misfortune into a crowd pleaser. I have often seen John Kirkpatrick do it and even get applause for his cover up of a mistake (he does make them occasionally)it is the first time I have ever achieved it.

Well done John a true professional.

Al

There was a nice finale to this evening ,we all decided to go along to the local pub after the Music Hall had finished.We were all in costume, stripy waistcoats etc. When I went to the bar for a drink the barmaid asked me why everyone was dressed up and I told her we had all been in a Music Hall. "Oh what Musical was that" she replied. "No" I said " A Music Hall" again she asked the same question. "I will show you" said I taking out my concertina (from an unlocked box) and played "Daisy Daisy" to which the whole pub started singing to. The Landlord did say to her " Now look what you've started". but everyone cheered so we all had a good time.

I didn't get a free drink but the barmaid did smile at me a lot.

Al <_<

There was a nice finale to this evening ,we all decided to go along to the local pub after the Music Hall had finished.We were all in costume, stripy waistcoats etc. When I went to the bar for a drink the barmaid asked me why everyone was dressed up and I told her we had all been in a Music Hall. "Oh what Musical was that" she replied. "No" I said " A Music Hall" again she asked the same question. "I will show you" said I taking out my concertina (from an unlocked box) and played "Daisy Daisy" to which the whole pub started singing to. The Landlord did say to her " Now look what you've started". but everyone cheered so we all had a good time.

Al <_<

Watch it, Al. Perhaps her name was Daisy.

This could thread drift into a worst gigs feature. Always good for a laugh - like the band booking in a lopsided scout hut with a chain of extension leads running across the grass for power, an offer of some damp mattresses in said scout hut for accomodatio and some Mars bars for breakfast

This could thread drift into a worst gigs feature.

Shouldn't do that. I'm pretty sure there's an old thread somewhere with just that subject, just waiting to be continued.

(Tried to do a Search for it, looking for a title with the word "worst". Worse luck. The old option in Advanced Search to search "titles only" seems to have disappeared, with "titles & posts" and "posts only" now being the only options. :angry: )

Al <_<

Didn't say get your coat you've pulled then? ;)

....its better than kareoke lady ga ga songs.:unsure:

Al <_<

Watch and learn Sarah us oldies walk down the hill.

Al <_<

Watch and learn Sarah us oldies walk down the hill.

You'd run if you heard me 'singing' from the top....:ph34r:

Edited by LDT

I have to report that the Old Boy played at Charlwood last night - with the same lockable box as before - and opened it up first time! His playing was rubbish but his box-opening technique was superb...

So he's latched on!

He started with the latch 'n all, then went on to play his Jeffries.