song accompaniment lesson

pauline de snoo

Guest Martin Gibson

Fingering 5ths on an EC can be done with 2 different fingers or with 1 finger.

Good exponents of English Concertina Song Accompaniment include Steve Turner, Keith Kendrick, Dick Miles, Louisa Killen and Damien Barber.

Hi Pauline Thankyou for the course although I play Anglo I found it usefull.I also printed off you "Conac49" Different uses of chords and altered chords. Am I missing something because your "for example", C Maj and GMaj I would call CMaj7 and GMaj7 .Bob

Well the MAJ automatically includes the 7. Sometimes only a triangle is written to indicate the MAJ 7.

I am thinking of another lesson on this subject in the same format as the song accompaniment.

Pauline

Guest Martin Gibson

C MAJ 7=CEGB, C Dominant 7=CEG BFLAT, The major chord does not have to have an added seventh, in fact often 2 note chords or dyads are suitable for accompaniment, sometimes in tradItional music it is appropriate to leave out the third note, so the player might play for a C major chord c g,OR c e or cgc or cec

It is frowned on by some to double the third of a major chord[Example c major C ee.

have a look at Damien Barber

on you tube, Dickmilesmusic you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq76ncXFyAg, Keith Kendrick you tube and Louis Killen

C MAJ 7=CEGB, C Dominant 7=CEG BFLAT, The major chord does not have to have an added seventh, in fact often 2 note chords or dyads are suitable for accompaniment, sometimes in tradItional music it is appropriate to leave out the third note, so the player might play for a C major chord c g,OR c e or cgc or cec

I suppose I have spent too much time in the jazz scene where there is an option to use the 7th or not in the Major chord. The Major chord is then indicated by either C or C with this Triangle (no 7 mentioned), or CMaj7 or CM7. See a.o. Jazz Theory by Mark Levine. Often he does not add the 7 but in the dots you can find he does use the 7. In the first two the 7 is implicitly meant but does not have to be played. It depends on the chords used in the other bars what one prefers. As with all music I find that there are no rules really what one should use. In the end it is all a matter of taste and what the ears like to hear.

The chords I use in Conac are based on the jazz theory.

Pauline

Edited by pauline de snoo

• 1 month later...

2. Stop using Internet Explorer.

I know all this. All old news for almost everybody I think, which keeps being repeated. But I do not possess all the software available in this world let alone the knowledge how to work with them. So we will have to do with what I do have and so with what I have produced for the moment.

I have used Firefox myself for a while but there are quite a lot of websites ( good ones) that will not work entirely in Firefox. So a never ending circle.

I just hope that people can use the lesson I made and if they cannot get into it because of a different browser then I am sorry but that is part of electronic life as we now know it.

Nevetheless I will continue to make lessons and will keep making them available on the net.

Happy New Year

I have just come across this thread and I am sorry to say that I don't think this is an acceptable excuse. While the majority of people's computers use Windows where IE is built in. However, there is a significant minority who do not use Windows computers and for them IE is simply not available. I am among them as my computer runs Linux and IE simply will not install on a Linux computer. I suspect the same may be true of the Mac as well. I also suspect that the proportion of Mac users among musicians is higher than in the general population as it is seen to be a good computer for music software. I appreciate that there are ways round this for non Windows users, but effort involved is simply not worthwhile in most cases.

If you are aiming at the widest possible audience, then ideally you need to test your web pages in Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera and Safari (Safari has a Windows version). The chances are that if you test in just one of them, it will work in all the others as they all adhere to the agreed HTML standards.

The problem with IE is that it does not adhere to agreed standards for HTML and is notorious for this in spite of long term pressure from the HTML development community.

Another way round the problem is to make your accompaniment lesson available on You Tube, then everyone can view it. It may not be a perfect solution but it is better than nothing.

A pity because, although I am an anglo player, I was interested to see your accompaniment video as I am sure there are things I can learn from it.

Geoff