"Lachenal & Co" Strap Stamps

Bit of a longshot this one:

I have one nice old Lachenal anglo hand strap with the gold tooled company name ("Lachenal & Co. Makers, LONDON"). Finding another one would probably be difficult so I had the idea of trying to make a matching strap. Getting the leather and cutting it to the same shape and size is the easy part, but has anyone any idea how I could reproduce the stamped-in lettering?

I've seen various sets of metal alphabet stamps for leather on the internet, but nothing smaller than 1/4" and the lettering on the original straps is nearer to 1/8". Does anyone know where I might get a set of lettering stamps that small which would approximate the font?

I'm guessing people will suggest going to a bookbinders (who would certainly be the most likely bet for something like this.) We do have one here in the remote west of Ireland, but it's a fifty mile round trip for me into the wilds, and it might be a "come back next week and I'll have it for you...." situation. If I could get hold of a set of stamps and some gold leaf I'm confident I could do a reasonable reproduction.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd be very appreciative!

Michael.

Edited by varney

Harbor Freight tools and supply (harborfreight.com) has 1/8" letter stamps on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/36-piece-1-8-eighth-inch-steel-letter-number-stamping-set-800.html

The font is probably just block lettering, though. It might be a good idea to try a letter stamp from a local machinist on your leather to see how it works first. Good luck.

Thanks folks.. very helpful advice there, and much appreciated.

Bob - I imagine anything which is transferred to the straps by adhering to the surface would lead to the lettering being rubbed away pretty easily.

Anglogeezer - The embossing plate sounds like it would certainly work, though the cost would be way beyone what I would want to spend on a small one-off thing.

Hielandman - I think the Harbor Freight set might be the best option to try. I imagine it's unlikely the two fonts would match up, but I might get reasonably close and end up making two straps to emulate the originals.

I should have included the following picture in the first post to let people see what it is I'm trying to reproduce:

post-8118-0-04742700-1293914588_thumb.jpg

Thanks folks.. very helpful advice there, and much appreciated.

Bob - I imagine anything which is transferred to the straps by adhering to the surface would lead to the lettering being rubbed away pretty easily.

Anglogeezer - The embossing plate sounds like it would certainly work, though the cost would be way beyone what I would want to spend on a small one-off thing.

Hielandman - I think the Harbor Freight set might be the best option to try. I imagine it's unlikely the two fonts would match up, but I might get reasonably close and end up making two straps to emulate the originals.

I should have included the following picture in the first post to let people see what it is I'm trying to reproduce:

Hi Varney

It comes close. Here is a picture

http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2009/06/more-ideas-for-fathers-day-stamped-dog.html

There are 3 sizes. This is the 1/8" stamps.

http://www.harborfreight.com/36-piece-1-8-eighth-inch-steel-letter-number-stamping-set-800.html

The 1/4" and the 3/8" are on the bottom

I have the 1/8"set and they work good on brass disks for name tags for the dogs.

Thanks

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did offer to get the Stamping Dies engraved if there was enough interest but I only got a couple of replies. We have got 6 hot foil blocking machines at the Factory so for me it is an easy job. If you want to try using a set of stamps ,well go ahead, but it would be tantamount to walking on water.