Here We Go Again

Chris Timson

<_< It was the identical instrument from the last bogus auction. The photos and even the description were the same. It just had another new seller name -- again reportedly from Canada. The bidder names were going to be hidden and the auction was set up for a quick 3 days. Thankfully -- with C.netters' help, eBay is squashing these as fast as they pop up.

Ross

Here is a copy of the e-mail I rec'd from this seller after I clicked "ask seller a question. Both correspondences are below.

To: <s2maur@airolink.com>

Date: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 10:06 PM

Subject: Question from eBay Member: Anglo concertina

Question from eBay Member: Anglo concertina (Item # 3732243363)

Dear corsspart,

To Whom, The item that you have offered for bid on e-bay is a copied picture from the Suttner Concertinas site. This is an A5 model as you describe a 34b anglo offered in several key combinations. I would be willing to have a reputable intermediary transact a purchase of this fine and much sought after instrument in the keys of C/G and I'm pretty sure that this will be the only way that anyone else will do a purchase for this item. Since there is a waiting period of between 3 to 5 years for these concertinas I would be willing to offer you well above the asking price that Juergen Suttner is charging for these concertinas but you will have to deliver it to the owner of the concertina.net site in canada upon which he would then release the funds to you and send the concertina on to me. I have made purchase arrangements thru this person before to the satisfaction of both seller and buyer. Let me know if these terms are agreeable to you and we can work from there. sm

To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3732243363 <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3732243363>

Sellers response:

I will ask you to send me a deposit of £400 before i send the item to you. I have a lot of customers and i need to be sure which one will be the buyer. I will send the item the same day i receive the payment and i will allow you about 3 or 4 days for you to check the item. If you like it you will send me the balance, if you i will send your money back and you will send the item back on my expenses. I will pay for the shipping costs for the item. The deposit will be sent using Western Union.he reason why i want to use these service is they are very fast and easy to use. I could receive the payment the same day you send it and i could ship the item in the next hours. The deal can be done very fast.The shipping time will be 2 days. You will be charged some fees when you will send the deposit but since i pay for the shipping costs i think it is fair that you pay for that fees.

Let me know asap..

Thank you !!!

As you can see..he was still trying to get something from someone anyway possible.

I did alot of searches not only for the seller but for the buyer as well and there isn't any history out there on either one of these guys except that they have e-mails and zero buying and selling history. I wonder if he bid on it through another registered name.?

I am glad that we are all still holding our money instead of an empty parcel box. Wouldn't you like to find out where they live. I would!

:angry:

I did alot of searches not only for the seller but for the buyer as well and there isn't any history out there on either one of these guys except that they have e-mails and zero buying and selling history. I wonder if he bid on it through another registered name.?

There was another suspected fake auction a while back where I did some cross-checking of some of the seller's ratings. What I found, though not conclusive, was in my estimation rather suspicious, with a majority of positive comments being back and forth among less than a dozen Ebay IDs alternating as buyer and seller. Made me suspect that one person with multiple IDs won his own "auctions" and entered "feedback" without anything actually changing hands (and maybe not even existing). Might be worth paying eBay commission on a number of small "auctions" to set yourself up with a "history" for tricking somebody into big-ticket fraud. :angry: