Tom McCarthy Documentary

The documentary film about the musical life of Tom McCarthy will be shown at 9.15pm on Monday 27th. December on TG4. This is the Irish language channel based in Galway.

It should also be available on their website www.tg4.ie to view for a while after this.

Tom was a much loved Concertina and Uilleann pipes player originally from Co.Clare who lived for many years in London. It is a tribute to his musical enthusiasm as well as his wonderfull character that all his children are fine musicians and his Grandchildren are only one step behind their parents.

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Ken Lynam spent eight years preparing and making this film. He met Tom in London learning the pipes from him and started the project as an investigation in the transmission of tunes and music in general. When Tom was diagnosed with cancer he became the focus of the documentary.

Only two shoots were done with Tom present, the film was still in preparation at the time. One bit was done in the house of Tommy Keane and Tom's daughter Jacqueline, the other at Tom's homeplace when visiting his brother. This was the day before he left for Lourdes, where he died the next day.

Through archive material and friends and family reminiscing the film builds a lovely sensitively painted portrait of it's subject and doing so manages to capture the humour and personality of Tom just brilliantly. It's a loving and moving portrait of a great man. A few tears were shed at it's first showing.

I saw the film at it première on sept 13 2008. Watch it if you can. Highly recommended.

Edited by Peter Laban

Thanks very much for the nod on this Geoff. B)

Tommy McCarthy: Handing Down the Tunes!

The programme covers the life of Clare born musician Tommy McCarthy, from his early days growing up on the family farm and learning to play music, to his years spent in London, and his return to live once again in Clare.

The themes of music, emigration, and in particular the handing down of the music to his children and grandchildren are central to the narrative, and many of Tommy's contemporaries, such as Joe Burke, Noel Hill and Reg Hall, pay tribute to the man and his music.

TG4 Listings Monday December 27th

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

This should be a very cool segment on TG4.

Féilte as Boston

A Christmas edition of the popular music and entertainment series in 2010, comes from Boston, home of the largest and youngest Irish community in the US. As Christmas draws near, thoughts turn to home and this programme meets many of the city's Iexiles and hears some of the best traditional music on offer. Presenter for this programme is award winning journalist Seán Mac an tSíthigh and he is joined by musicians Tommy Mc Carthy agus Larry Reynolds and sean-nós singer Máirín Uí Chéidigh at the Burren Bar i Somerville. Seán also finds out that the ancient skills of currach-racing are alive and well in Boston.

TG4 Thursday 23 December 22.00

The fellow I play with / recorded with John Coyne is playing bouzouki in the segment.

Thanks for that info. It will make my Christmas. I was just playing the CDs by Tommy and his family . His music is an inspiration and a source I always go back to. I loved those sessions in London when we could get down.

Tommy McCarthy's CD Sporting Nell is one of my favorites, and it's still available for purchase: track listing and sound samples are here and order info here (scroll most of the way down the page). He had a concertina style that doesn't sound quite like anyone else I've heard.

Thanks for that info. It will make my Christmas. I was just playing the CDs by Tommy and his family . His music is an inspiration and a source I always go back to. I loved those sessions in London when we could get down.

Tommy McCarthy's CD Sporting Nell is one of my favorites, and it's still available for purchase: track listing and sound samples are here and order info here (scroll most of the way down the page). He had a concertina style that doesn't sound quite like anyone else I've heard.

A nice human and musical link to Stack Ryan and on to his family.

were those two parts the entire thing? part ii seemed to end kind of abruptly....but, wow, what a little jewel of a documentary. i love the kitty hayes one; this is also really wonderful. why, why, WHY is it not still like that????

and thank you most kindly for posting the two links!

Edited by ceemonster

Many thanks for these links Dick,

it does make things easier. I managed to watch the program today, with a little tear in my eye !

Geoff.

Many thanks, Stephen and Dick. It brought back some great memories of a Willie Clancy week in about 1986, where I sat at the feet of Tommy McCarthy for an entire week, along with my classmates. I carefully noted down his fingerings and his tunes that week, and they are with me still. He was a true gentleman and a great teacher. How I wish I could have spent a few years in Clare back then!

Cheers,

Dan

I've put a separate question up, on the potential impact of current emigration from Ireland on the music. Does it only get rooted if people settle and build families and communities.

Can London be such a centre again with current house prices and the state of the pub trade, music licenses etc etc?

Edited by michael sam wild