Going over to the really dark side

AnnC

I think every melodeon player I see for the next few months is going to be asked if they will let me have a try of their instrument, with the offer of a pint beer3.gif as an inducement biggrin.gif

That should help me get a good idea of the different makes and which type will suit me best.

Thanks everyone for the advice smile.gif

If you should ever come to London, you're very welcome to try out my collection of melodeons - 5 at the last count. Now let me see, how many pints is that? :unsure: Perhaps you can find a melodeon player/owner living near you, who might be willing to lend you a spare instrument for a month to see how you get on with it. If you lived near me, I'd be willing to lend you one of mine. :)

Chris

I play mostly one row and a bit of 2 row.

Morris was the key word... if you are going to play Morris, no choice... D/G is the key system

D/G is most common in England and New England... other than that.. G/C seems to be the most common

key system... even in the States.. as an example.. Tex Mex was pioneered on G/C Hohn er Pokerwork 2 rows

I have not seen Maggies Melodeon tutor but I do have the Mallinson stuff... dating back to when I bought them direct from Mally himself.

There are more tutorials for G/C and IMO to a high standard.. as in the Milleret/Pignol available form the Button Box

Also the Caruhel is quite good.

In concertina.. I prefer the sound and utility of G/D.... I would agree that c/G is the stabdard for Irish for anglo but also that the majority of concertinas seem to be C/G and of course I think most folks who use the C/G are playing Irish.

I play a very little Irish on one row but mostly fiddle tunes and Quebec.

On two row, French trad. and a smattering of other stuff... all in G/C ( though I prefer Bb/Eb and one day will

acquire a quality box in that key system)

Back to the oroginal question 2 row an D/G for Morris or G/C for a much larger range from French to Tex Mex to Marengue Tipico and Quebec

I play mostly one row and a bit of 2 row.

In concertina.. I prefer the sound and utility of G/D.... I would agree that c/G is the stabdard for Irish for anglo but also that the majority of concertinas seem to be C/G and of course I think most folks who use the C/G are playing Irish.

I play a very little Irish on one row but mostly fiddle tunes and Quebec.

On two row, French trad. and a smattering of other stuff... all in G/C ( though I prefer Bb/Eb and one day will

acquire a quality box in that key system)

Back to the oroginal question 2 row an D/G for Morris or G/C for a much larger range from French to Tex Mex to Marengue Tipico and Quebec

Sound's as if I'll be looking for 2 melodeons eventually then smile.gif Oh for a win on the lottery biggrin.gif

Looking at the tunes I play most often, the keys range through the usual C, D, G and A majors. There are also quite a few in Am, Dm and Em, Eb, F and one that I'm told is in G#

......... ( despite having a C/G Anglo I play very little Irish smile.gif) .......

so what melodeon tunings would be the best to cope please biggrin.gif

Looking at the tunes I play most often, the keys range through the usual C, D, G and A majors. There are also quite a few in Am, Dm and Em, Eb, F and one that I'm told is in G#

......... ( despite having a C/G Anglo I play very little Irish smile.gif) .......

Come over to mel.net and ask we don't bite

Come over to mel.net and ask we don't bite

will do biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

post-1957-0-66594900-1294947891_thumb.jpgpost-1957-0-23251300-1294947894_thumb.jpgpost-1957-0-35957900-1294947893_thumb.jpgpost-1957-0-47236100-1294947892_thumb.jpgpost-1957-0-66594900-1294947891_thumb.jpg

Well after reading lots of the advice forums on melnet I decided to get a cheap melodeon from ebay, that wouldn't be ruined by me taking it apart to do up and learn on while saving up for a better one biggrin.gif

What arrived in the post looked too good for me to mess about with so it's going to be done up properly.

According to replies to a post on melmet it could be an old German melodeon. There's no makers name on the outside but inside the bass end there's an inked stamp with the name

CH. Tomson of Cable Street London, a musical instrument maker and repairer of accordions, melodeons and concertinas, though I've not found anything about him yet.

biggrin.gif

post-1957-0-61544400-1294947890_thumb.jpg

Edited by anlej