What Did Percy Honri Actually Play?

Dirge

Actually there's a lot more in Working The Halls than I remembered ... right at the end Peter H finishes the book with a piece that became the family tune; he says it's from Concordia, ...

The family tune was 'The Lost Chord', which you can hear a version of here. The book came with a flexi-record which had a few tunes on it - have you got that?

Edited by wes williams

For those who are interested, used copies that include the recording are not too hard to find, at least in the US - see some of these.

The book came with a flexi-record which had a few tunes on it - have you got that?

Only the hardback edition came with the flexi-disc I'm afraid, it wasn't with the (much more common) paperback one, like I sent Dirge... :rolleyes:

Actually there's a lot more in Working The Halls than I remembered ... right at the end Peter H finishes the book with a piece that became the family tune; he says it's from Concordia, ...

The family tune was 'The Lost Chord', which you can hear a version of here. The book came with a flexi-record which had a few tunes on it - have you got that?

He says at the end of the book the family had a special whistle, the opening bars of the Jester tune; there's no suggestion it's a signature tune for the act though, which I imagine is what you mean. But surely they can't have used The Lost Chord as a signature tune either? I get the impression that TLC was an obligatory encore for any and every musical act of the time and was the tune the audience could never hear too often, so Percy probably got bullied into playing it every performance, but I'd have thought he'd have found it impossible to mark as 'his' when every Tom Dick and Harry was playing it, and surely that's a key requirement for a signature tune?

What's on the disc then Wes? Any early Percy originals? I MUST contact Jon Mac and see if he/the ICA has anything; they ought to have this too, oughtn't they?

The book came with a flexi-record which had a few tunes on it - have you got that?

Only the hardback edition came with the flexi-disc I'm afraid, it wasn't with the (much more common) paperback one, like I sent Dirge... :rolleyes:

All the pages are falling out. Can I have my money back please?

That's a 'no' then Dirge?

.........It is but I was being nice about it. Enjoy it while it lasts...

/quote]

Yeah - I'd heard the Gobbits in their underground caves, who look at the nice Hobbit houses across the valley through periscopes (to save coming into the light), were flooded as usual due to the regular NZ rain which makes for some misery music as it goes "der der der DER der der de der der der der" dropping on the curved corrugated Nissan roofs of the Gobbit houses just visible through the soil.

[bTW Dirge - that is Morse code for Happy Xmas and Noo Year :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by Kautilya

I have a copy of the flexi disc ... bought it on ebay from a young lady who seemed to have a goodly supply for about £0.99. It's rather rubbishy really.... mostly stuff with Peter and Mary playing for old people's parties in a nursing home if I recall correctly. And no great revelations, I'm afraid.

I have a copy of the flexi disc ... bought it on ebay from a young lady who seemed to have a goodly supply for about £0.99. It's rather rubbishy really.... mostly stuff with Peter and Mary playing for old people's parties in a nursing home if I recall correctly. And no great revelations, I'm afraid.

Really!? Must dig out and listen to mine again. I had not realised they might have been playing last requests for the residents including DErge's Number 1 hit: der der der der DER....

This chappy is clearly another fan but it looks as though he is into a bit of M(arks & S(pencer Xmas fayre the way he has tied himself to the shopping centre pillar!

Mind you, this is more Dirge's style when he really gets going with his own jazz arrangement of Sweeney Todd's Chopin the Throat.

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bdohpu1ZRA

I thought I'd seen copies on there recently, and was going to mention it.

Trouble is, I've nothing to play mine on at the minute, but doesn't he sing "I'm a Jolly Old Jester" on there? (Which I think might have been used in Concordia, maybe for the Jack-in-the-box sketch?)

I thought I'd seen copies on there recently, and was going to mention it.

Trouble is, I've nothing to play mine on at the minute, but doesn't he sing "I'm a Jolly Old Jester" on there? (Which I think might have been used in Concordia, maybe for the Jack-in-the-box sketch?)

I had a look, and it would seem that her supply may have run out - there's no mention of it now. I got a friend to transfer it onto CD - will have to have another listen to it and find out for you Stephen!

• 1 year later...

I came across this writeup with pictures and music in MP3 format from the disk.

http://tardymusic.com/2011/10/a-concert-in-a-turn-the-honris-narrated-by-peter-honri-1974/

And there is this also:

http://tardymusic.com/2012/01/an-interview-with-june-honri-about-working-the-halls/

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo