Lachenal Concertina

manosmaster

I have a Lachenal Concertina I bought 40 years ago in London. It is still in good conditions, all the keys are working and only the straps have been recently changed. I made some pictures visible HERE.

I unterstand that the low serial number (1788) could mean it is an old one, but as I'm not an expert, I would like to have the opinion of real experts. I also would like to now if the instrument could be of some market value and if possible a rough evaluation.

Edited by manosmaster

Hello,

You have a 39 button Lachenal MacCann duet with steel reeds.

The upside is that the instrument looks to be in restorable condition and has steel reeds.

The downside is that tuning to standard and normal replacement of worn parts (pads, valves etc.) mean restoration costs in the $400-$500. USD range. The MacCann system is not widely popular right now and 39b instruments with their limited range are considered entry level instruments.

A good judge of unrestored value can be seen on ebay where similar MacCanns have been recently sold in the $300.-$400. USD range.

Greg

I unterstand that the low serial number (1788) could mean it is an old one...

The Lachenal firm started up in 1858 and closed down in 1933, so any Lachenal concertina is going to be "old". However, they had seperate numbering sequences for the different systems of concertina that they produced, and only started to make duets (in small quantities) in 1884. Yours will date from early in the 20th century.

Regarding the year in which Lachenal Maccann No. 1788 was made:

We have the bill of sale for Lachenal Maccann No. 1819, dated 8 February 1898. (No. 1819 is 62 keys, raised metal ends, metal buttons, steel reeds, 6-fold bellows).

I think that, in that period, Lachenal was making about 20 Maccann duets per month. (They had just started making Crane duets--with a separate series of serial numbers).

Thus, since No. 1788 is 31 numbers earlier than No. 1819, I would date its manufacture as about December 1897. (How about"Finished 20 December 1897, between lunch time and Tea Time.")

Regarding the year in which Lachenal Maccann No. 1788 was made:

We have the bill of sale for Lachenal Maccann No. 1819, dated 8 February 1898. (No. 1819 is 62 keys, raised metal ends, metal buttons, steel reeds, 6-fold bellows).

I think that, in that period, Lachenal was making about 20 Maccann duets per month. (They had just started making Crane duets--with a separate series of serial numbers).

Thus, since No. 1788 is 31 numbers earlier than No. 1819, I would date its manufacture as about December 1897. (How about"Finished 20 December 1897, between lunch time and Tea Time.")

Thanks, Dowright, I also guessed a similar date using the calculation formulas on the site. Very funny the last sentence. I also think it should be finished just before Christmas 1897. A lot of snow that year in London!

• 2 weeks later...