Wheatstone 48 EC

Geoff Wooff

This is in fine original condition, never restored, the only new things are the thumb straps. My only Concertina for a ten year period after I purchased it from Stephen Chambers in 1999.Number 30790.

Currently tuned to 1/5th. Comma Meantone (A=440hz.) but I could tune it to Equal temperament if a purchaser so desired.

Plays very well with a good tone. In its original box.

Price €1500. Donation to C.net if sold here.

post-8475-0-94904900-1292484273_thumb.jpg

post-8475-0-75902000-1292484292_thumb.jpg

post-8475-0-15813400-1292484315_thumb.jpg

post-8475-0-57654200-1292484335_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff Wooff

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmmm.... I'm not recieving any interest in my lovely little 48... maybe it is the time of year ?

Let me add that it is a great instrument that I played very seriously for ten years and it never missed a beat even during long 14 hour music sessions that sometimes happen during festivals... I sold my 1910 Tennor/Treble Aeola after I got this one because I liked the tone and playability so much. It would suit someone who wants to Up-grade from the student models.

I now have different needs from my concertinas, like more volume and greater range.

Happy New Year to all,

Geoff.

Is it tuned 14 notes per octave (i.e. D# and Eb are different notes)?

Yes ! Both D#/Eb and G#/Ab are slightly different notes.

I can give you percentages (of a semitone) deviations from Equal Temperament for all 14 notes if you desire .

I can give you percentages (of a semitone) deviations from Equal Temperament for all 14 notes if you desire .

Yes please Geoff - please PM me or post on the forum.

Thanks, Steve

Ok,

Maybe I should start a separate topic for this,however since we did not get home from our New Years Eve gig untill 5.30 this morning I might take some extra time to think of a nice way to tabulate these numbers.

Back soon,

Geoff.

Lovely instrument Geoff, I'm glad I play the English system, it is possible for us to buy top quality concertinas at an affordable price. And I didn't know there were still concertinas that make a difference in D#/Eb and G#/Ab. Mine has not that difference and I've got used to that, sometimes I use both sides in the same tune.

I hope you find someone that can make a good use of this lovely Wheatstone

Fernando

Lovely instrument Geoff, I'm glad I play the English system, it is possible for us to buy top quality concertinas at an affordable price. And I didn't know there were still concertinas that make a difference in D#/Eb and G#/Ab. Mine has not that difference and I've got used to that, sometimes I use both sides in the same tune.

I hope you find someone that can make a good use of this lovely Wheatstone

Fernando

Thanks Fernando,

for you kind thoughts.

I was just now playing that concertina and comparing it to another which is just like the one you play. I agree entirely that we are lucky that the English has not yet become as popular as the Anglo.There is great quality in both the trebles I have but I still think this Rosewood one is the better of my two and as you say, it should go to someone who will aprieciate it and use it well.

This is the concertina I used for years when I lived in Miltown Malbay, it was great for sessions in small Bars. Now I need something that can make huge amounts of noise,when needed, hence the change.

Well, best regards and Happy New year,

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

This concertina has been sold.

To me!

Thanks Geoff! nice to meet you! that was nice, we were putting a bit of music to Dublin Airport this morning hehehe And you know what? I have a name for the concertina! her name is Jacinta. In Spain we have the same name (a bit old fashioned now), but I've opted for the way they pronounce it here in Ireland.

I will make a video of Jacinta singing a song and I will post it to this thread

Be you all ready for Jacinta!

Fernando

To me!

Thanks Geoff! nice to meet you! that was nice, we were putting a bit of music to Dublin Airport this morning hehehe And you know what? I have a name for the concertina! her name is Jacinta. In Spain we have the same name (a bit old fashioned now), but I've opted for the way they pronounce it here in Ireland.

Fernando

Congratulations, Fernando. I was tempted by this offer as well. Glad it went to someone who loves to play it!!

Looking forward to your video.

To me!

...And you know what? I have a name for the concertina! her name is Jacinta.

And I wish you and Jacinta every happiness! :)

(Isn't she remarkably well-preserved for her age?) :blink:

I own a Wheatstone EC tenor/treble that once belonged to Stephen C. I expect a lot of concertinas have passed through his hands over the years prior to Chris Algar and Ebay.

They still do Chris, they still do! :D

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Here she is!

I arrived home from work, and I found Jacinta dying to sing an Irish reel!

She started to sing in the key of F, in two octaves. I've heard this reel played by different people, and I have a two questions:

- Does this reel have more names? because I only know the name that Noel Hill told me, but I find it strange not to see this reel in thesession.org

- There is something special about this key... I know I'm playing it in F. And looks like F Major, but I'm not sure, there are notes that don't belong to F Major...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOgcREsjIyI

Edited by fernando

To me!

Fernando

Nice to meet you too Fernando ! I have eventually got home.

Nice also to see the video. Sorry I did not have more time, last Sunday, to talk and play a few tunes. I am so glad that this little gem has gone to someone who will love it and play it a lot. It does have many many years of life left in it.

Thanks for making a donation, which should really be the job of the seller, I would think. However as the price was sensible then I am sure you are happy to also donate.

As I have also purchased another Concertina this week, from a forum member, I will also show my aprieciation for this excellent website by making a donation.

Best regards to all,

Geoff.