Planxty Mr O'Carolan

tona

Hi all,

Planxty Mr O'Carolan is one of my band which is dedicated to the music of...O'Carolan and the irish band Planxty.

Here is a sample of our first recording before the making of a myspace.

"Captain O'Kane"

The sound quality may be poor because I had to compress the file a lot to be supported as attachment...

Tiennet Simonnin : uilleann pipe, whistle

Jean-Pierre Simmonet : guitar, bouzouki

Thomas Restoin : concertina, accordion

Thanks,

Thomas

Edited by tona

Many thanks all for your words!

I understand what you say Ratface and I will ask my friends to discuss this. The recording is not finalized...

So one other tune. "princess royal"

Thanks for your listening!

Many thanks all for your words!

I understand what you say Ratface and I will ask my friends to discuss this. The recording is not finalized...

So one other tune. "princess royal"

Thanks for your listening!

Again, a very nice arrangement but I felt that the flute was a bit too dominant and the volume could be turned down a bit to let the other instruments through a bit more.

Chris

Good job Thomas.

One of my favourites too, not only because of its haunting melody, but also perhaps because of it's connection with Co Antrim here & the fact that Captain O'Kane's nickname was Slasher O'Kane! B)

I recorded it myself in costume for YouTube, on my Hammered Dulcimer, in the great hall of Carrickfergus Castle in Co. Antrim.

As Michael says, there is a song associated with this melody called The Wounded Hussar.

Interesting to note that ...

"the words are thought to have been composed by the Scottish poet Thomas Campbell."

If your interested, there's a rather interesting thread on this song, over on Mudcat.

Cheers

Dick

Thanks for your thoughtful comments about the mix. I forward them....

But I had to compress the soundfiles into from 320 kbits into 64 kbits (!...), what is too much litte for a good quality. :(

Nice version of Captain O'Kane Ptarmigan. I did not know that words had been written on this music.

Here is an other tune of my band with Sandrine Burtin (voice). She adapted a text from O'Carolan (written in english) on the music of "separation of soul and body" which is imho a lovely and almost unknown tune of O'Carolan.

Sincerely

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...