Introduction and beginners question

Hello everyone I've just joined the forum because I find myself drawn to the concertina. Can't play a note yet although I play guitar by ear. I've looked around on line and searched out a little about the instrument so I know some basics like the difference between an Anglo and an English and what the main makers names are.

My question mentioned in the title is an obvious one for a beginner with one slight difference - which concertina to buy given little funds. The thing is a local music shop has the notorious 'May Fair' for sale I've only had a few quick looks at it not tried it yet but it is English by the straps with metal stamped ends. It would I suspect need some work. My question is this would it be worth buying this given that the price is less than say a Jackie. I'm sure I saw a post somewhere that someone had restored a May Fair and it had suprised him how well it played. Given I would check that the bellows are in goodish order and there is not to much wrong with the keys and action, what would be my best course?

Hello smile.gif

From your profile you're in Scotland biggrin.gif There are quite a few Scottish players (of all systems) on this site so with luck there might be someone near you who might be able to give you some advice.

There's a 'Concertina in Scotland' discussion board, run by Ptarmigan http://englishconcertina.proboards.com/index.cgi which is worth looking at smile.gif

If you can get a someone ( concertina/ melodeon/ accordion player) who would be able to spot the main faults, to look over anything you fancied buying it would be a bonus.

Best of luck smile.gif Concertina's are addictive .......... biggrin.gif

I would buy a May Fair in tune and in good working condition for less than a Jackie...

I would buy a Mayfair for less than a Jackie. Surely, their replutation isn't that bad? Button Box is selling one for about 3 times a new Jackie.

As always, it depends on what you want to play as to whether it's a real deal or not.

Thanks for the replies I will go and take a better look. The Mayfair is marked at £180 while a Jackie over here is over £300. It could be that the condition is bad.

I noticed the Concertina in Scotland board last night. English concertinas playing Scottish tunes in Scotland. Maybe someone should invent a Scottish concertina ;)

I will let you know how I get on. If there is a bit of work to do on it that doesn't put me off if at the end of the day I have a concertina which will last me through learning to play. It might actually be a good way to fully understand the concertina.

Well good, bad or indifferent I've bought the MayFair. It has certainly been through the wars, at least comparing it to the MayFair shown on Button Box. One strap is burst, There are dints and dents and some slight areas of verdigree around the metal ends(though I don't think it's drastic and will clean up. More importantly all the notes sound and appear to my ear to be in tune - though at this stage that means little. There is air leaking from the bellows because when I hold it at one end it slowy begins to open but I mean slowly, hardly noticable.

I did swither but what convinced me to go for it was the Stephanelli sitting on the shelf next to it. When I held this brand new instrument after handling the MayFair It felt cheap and plasticky and the action of the buttons was awful.So even If I was just using the Mayfair to practice fingering the notes I thought it was a much better buy for a beginner.I paid £180 although the price was £199( it was the new Stephanelli which was £180) so given the price of the refurbished tina? listed on Button box even with work to be done on it I feel it was reasonable. Now I have it, a slow realisation is setting in that this will be much more difficult to learn to play than I had thought but still there is just something about it? This could change my life forever.

If I'm able to I will post some images that's if anyone is interested?

Well good, bad or indifferent I've bought the MayFair. It has certainly been through the wars, at least comparing it to the MayFair shown on Button Box. One strap is burst, There are dints and dents and some slight areas of verdigree around the metal ends(though I don't think it's drastic and will clean up. More importantly all the notes sound and appear to my ear to be in tune - though at this stage that means little. There is air leaking from the bellows because when I hold it at one end it slowy begins to open but I mean slowly, hardly noticable.

I did swither but what convinced me to go for it was the Stephanelli sitting on the shelf next to it. When I held this brand new instrument after handling the MayFair It felt cheap and plasticky and the action of the buttons was awful.So even If I was just using the Mayfair to practice fingering the notes I thought it was a much better buy for a beginner.I paid £180 although the price was £199( it was the new Stephanelli which was £180) so given the price of the refurbished tina? listed on Button box even with work to be done on it I feel it was reasonable. Now I have it, a slow realisation is setting in that this will be much more difficult to learn to play than I had thought but still there is just something about it? This could change my life forever.

If I'm able to I will post some images that's if anyone is interested?

Mayfairs can be pretty good (the sound should be good, and the action OK - though the buttons can be a bit noisy)

and at £180 (or so) it seems a good deal (and will almost certainly hold it' s value well, or even increase after a clean up)

It's from a recent enough era that the tuning will be modern pitch A=440, so while you might have found a note or 2 out of tune, a complete retune from an old pitch won't be needed.

If all the notes play and the belows only open slowly - it should be good to start on.

If you need a new thumbstrap they can be bought (try Dave Lees) or improvise if you're working to a budget.

There are some tutor books around (I like the Alistair Anderson Concertina Workshop - book and CD) but it would be good for you to try and find a local EC player to help with the initial mysteries of the beast - all those buttons!!

Edited by spindizzy

There is air leaking from the bellows because when I hold it at one end it slowy begins to open but I mean slowly, hardly noticable.

Unless you can feel air escaping from the bellows its more likely that the leakage is from one or more pads that are a little leaky. Most concertinas leak a little, so probably nothing to worry about.

About the air leakage it feels as if there is a tiny draft around the buttons rather than the bellows from that I figure your right about the pads. I have given it a quick clean over and already it looks ten times better. I'm in a quiet house at the moment and this sure sounds loud. I'm scared to give anything other than gentle push on the bellows for fear of losing good neighbours for ever. When running through the notes they apear to be in scale if you see what I mean although it took me a second or to to work out that you need to use both hands for this alternating from side to side. Thank you for all the advice on tutors and maintenance manuals I will take it all onboard. If there are any EC tutors or even keen beginners in the Edinburgh/Musselburgh area they could always get in touch. I'm going now to give it another try, if I can just pick out a simple tune!

Edited by Whittler

About the air leakage it feels as if there is a tiny draft around the buttons rather than the bellows from that I figure your right about the pads. I have given it a quick clean over and already it looks ten times better. I'm in a quiet house at the moment and this sure sounds loud. I'm scared to give anything other than gentle push on the bellows for fear of losing good neighbours for ever. When running through the notes they apear to be in scale if you see what I mean although it took me a second or to to work out that you need to use both hands for this alternating from side to side. Thank you for all the advice on tutors and maintenance manuals I will take it all onboard. If there are any EC tutors or even keen beginners in the Edinburgh/Musselburgh area they could always get in touch. I'm going now to give it another try, if I can just pick out a simple tune!

I was looking for some sample youtubes, and remembered that there is an EC tutorial set (from one of the forum members) that might be useful to get you started.

Start

Chris

A slow leak doesn't matter. If it is in playable condition it sounds like you got a bargain.

The Butler tutor for the English concertina is available for free over the Internet. If you

work your way through this you will be a competent player.

Thanks again everyone. I've began watching the youtube tutorials and have found the Butler tutor. Everything is on hold now as I will have to order new straps. I removed the old ones so had a good look inside in the process. Everything seems fairly neet and tidy. There are some abrasion marks on a few of the reeds. Whether this means the tuning has been adusted at some point or this is normal intrigues me, anyhow I managed to put everything back together relatively easily. If anything it now seems more airtight. Cleaned the buttons a bit more and the metal endplates. Everything still worked after the last screw went in :D

Now one more question. Looking at the holes for the thumbstraps I take it Wheatstone pattern is the correct one for this concertina. If I order the set from David J. Leese are the brackets fitted into the straps or do I salvage the old ones? These straps were pretty messed up.

I apologise for my ignorance in this matter. It would be good to get an answer soon as I notice the site is about to go on hold over Christmas (the 18th). I see David Elliot's book is also available from the site.

Now one more question. Looking at the holes for the thumbstraps I take it Wheatstone pattern is the correct one for this concertina. If I order the set from David J. Leese are the brackets fitted into the straps or do I salvage the old ones? These straps were pretty messed up.

I apologise for my ignorance in this matter. It would be good to get an answer soon as I notice the site is about to go on hold over Christmas (the 18th). I see David Elliot's book is also available from the site.

Salvage the metal brackets for reuse ...

and you can always phone Dave Lees - he's very helpful.