chords

ido

Is the concertina intended for chords too? Are there any song for the concertina that use chords?

Which kind do you play Anglo or EC or duet/

The beauty of the concertina is that you can build up chords from 2 notes played together to more complex.

most songs benefit and a lot of tunes do if used sensitively

Go to this thread and cut and paste the link for the tutor into your address bar. It's at the bottom left side of the psychotherapist's website.... Coincidence?..I don't think so. It's crazy good.:blink:

Which thread please :unsure:

Uh..yes...I guess that would help. Sorry'bout that.

it's Here.

I told ya it wasn't a coincidence.:P

Edited by drbones

Is the concertina intended for chords too? Are there any song for the concertina that use chords?

Which kind do you play Anglo or EC or duet/

The beauty of the concertina is that you can build up chords from 2 notes played together to more complex.

most songs benefit and a lot of tunes do if used sensitively

I play an english (jackie). Aren't chords suposed to be 3 notes?

I play an english (jackie). Aren't chords suposed to be 3 notes?

Eh. If you're picky, I suppose you could say that two notes forms a dyad. But the principle is the same.

Yes, and some chords have 4 notes. Dominant 7ths, for instance.

What exactly are you asking about, ido? You can play just chords on a concetina (like on a rhythm guitar) to accompany someone else, or you can embellish your melody as you play (like on a piano).

Playing "just chords" you'll probably want 3-note chords (triads) most of the time. As I understand it, this is quite easy on an English. On an Anglo in the home keys, it certainly is.

If you're "embellishing your melody," you may appear to need only 2-note "chords", because the melody note is often the third note of the chord. This is also very easy on the Anglo in the home keys. I've heard that it can be a bit tricky on English.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

John

It all stems from one voice singing melody to other voices joining in with pleasing notes to give harmony. So two people make chords when they sing in harmony ( listen to the Everley Brothers!)

In our traditions it works if you add notes by 'stacking' notes a third above the one you are playing from the scale you are using.

Isn't that quite easy on EC by the triangular layout of buttons? I play Anglo and the push pull sequence of notes gives some easy simple chords.

Edited by michael sam wild

Is the concertina intended for chords too?

IMHO any instrument that can have more than one note played at once should have more than one note played at once at least occasionally. After all, if fiddlers can do it so can we.

All the concertina systems lend themselves to chords, anglo and duet possibly slightly more easily than English because of the left-right split, but chords on an English is still pretty straightforward as plenty of players can demonstrate.

In other words - go for it!

Chris

I play the English and chord all the time if the tune calls for it. I use up to six fingers since the others are holding the instrument. I use the same chording as a guitar might only dropping the bottom since I play a treble Aeola. Attached is a youtube video of me playing Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Has some nice diminshed 6ths and 7th in there.

rss

I play the English and chord all the time if the tune calls for it. I use up to six fingers since the others are holding the instrument. I use the same chording as a guitar might only dropping the bottom since I play a treble Aeola. Attached is a youtube video of me playing Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Has some nice diminshed 6ths and 7th in there.

rss

That's really good how'd you manage to play all that without resting it on your knee?

anyway so you say to read piano notes and in the chords to drop the lowest note.

rss

That's really good how'd you manage to play all that without resting it on your knee?

anyway so you say to read piano notes and in the chords to drop the lowest note.

No, he didn't say that.

Look at what you've quoted. You'll see that he said "guitar", not "piano".

Didn't say anything about reading notes, either, though I suppose that's one way to learn guitar chord formations.

Oh man, considering how much time I spend (read "waste") combing UTube--I had not come across this piece of Randy Stein's virturosity. I also am preparing to tackle EC chording at this point. That performance is inspirational--now I have something to aim for!! Thanks for that little dirctional point Randy! Michelle

rss

Oh yeah! Pour me another cognac, Garcon. B)

(Nicely done!)

Greg

I play Anglo, and the chords and bass runs are what makes it so satisfying.

I regularly hear English played. The chords are often played in a different style, compared to Anglo, but they are still an important party of getting th emost from the instrument.