"jeffries Concertina"

Stephen Chambers

...for anyone interested in such things, see the eBay responses below.

Are you familiar with the computer program "Eliza"? ;)

It does seem, though, that she admitted that both actions were removed by eBay, and therefor had to have been removed for violating eBay's policies.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim,

I would have included the MacCann (as opposed to J. H. Maccann) if I had thought that I would be expected to be exhaustive. I would have also included the number of keys (more than one choice) for a Jeffries-system duet, etc. I should have also mentioned wood or metal ends.

I'd like to end the day on something on which we seem to agree:

1. I too have only seen 59-key Crane-system Jeffries (including the photos that you kindly sent me).

2. I too have only seen one MacCann-system Jeffries. In fact, at least one photo will be included in our extensive Jeffreis article that hopefully will be forthcoming soon.

I should have gotten back to you sooner about the Crane photos, but have been so busy--except for a few idle comments in this discussion forum. I should prioritized better. Thanks for the photos.

I have received the same photo as Henk, along with the following description from "Ianis Spatidis":

Hello sir this is the description:

Keys: 34 keys + C drone + air button, made from German silver

Ends: flat ends made from German silver, rosewood, ebony or cocobolo

Bellows: 7-fold leather bellows, goatskin in black, other colours on request

Tuning: C/G, also available C#/G#, Bb/F

Keyboard layout: modified Jeffries system

Levers: riveted, for fast action

Reeds: single steel reeds in brass frames

Reed pan construction: reed chambers are arranged in a circle

Size: diameter 160 mm (6.3 inch)

Description: crisp tone, fast action

I attach the picture.

Best regards abd have a great day!

Now I wonder whose website he got that from ?

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Hello,

As it happens, I know the exact instrument pictured in that photo (made of course by Juergen Suttner), and confirm that it is not for sale by its owner. Further evidence that the auction may be fraudulent.

Of course (although it is a lovely concertina) the instrument pictured does not match the description in the auction listing.

Paul

This particular "seller" has identified himself as the same who has sent email offers of similar instruments to bidders on other auctions. I got that same picture and description when I asked about one of those bogus offers.

He maintains a constant ID?

Ought to be possible to trace him and get him on criminal charges, at least if he's located in any of the Western countries. No?

Incidentally, the NY Times recently ran an article about vigilantes and cyberscams:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/17/technolo...its/17hoax.html

The Times article points readers toward a website called www.scamorama.com, where vigilantes post their exchanges with scammers, often turning the tables on them. The site also includes details of the scams and how they work.

-Andy

Ends: flat ends made from German silver, rosewood, ebony or cocobolo

Bellows: 7-fold leather bellows, goatskin in black, other colours on request

Tuning: C/G, also available C#/G#, Bb/F

I love how these three lines are supposed to describe a single instrument for sale! Perhaps it's a schizophrenic concertina??

:lol:

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

i saw an laptop on ebay and i decided to contact the seller to ask him if he wants to send directly. he replied yes and gave me his information. i am posting this because it seemed too good to be true. When i read this discussion i realised that the person you are talking about and the guy that is trying to scam me are one and the same person. Ianis Spatidis. His newest nickname is 'lauseetranful' and the item he is trying to sell me can be found at: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=3489381368

He wants me to pay him with Western Union. What do you think i should do?

Thanks

What is this person's email address?

Does he(they) pretend to live in London? This seems to be a bit of a recurrent theme. I think there is a possibility that this could be organised crime at work.

I should be very careful as these people are not only after your cash, they are also after your Ebay identity and perhaps Paypal ID. After opening any communications from them you MUST check for any spyware usind Adaware or Spybot or similar.

Be careful

Pete

What do you think i should do?

Hi Val,

My advice, if I had seen your post sooner, would have been "Report it to eBay", as somebody has now been "sold" that laptop for £1,220 ! He also now has another identical auction running here.

I have reported both auctions to eBay, and I just hope somebody hasn't already lost their £1,220.

I just hope somebody hasn't already lost their £1,220.

No, they didn't, it appears that the "high bidder" didn't complete the sale and left negative (private) feedback for the "seller", but still received "positive" feedback in return :

" + Why you bid on my auction if you are not intereseted ? Seller lauseetranful(private) 30-Jun-04 16:50 3489381368"

I wonder what interesting "offers" the underbidders might receive ?