For sale: 31-button C/G Dipper County Clare

megmcd2

• 1 month later...

My concertina is still available. It seems, from the lack of response, that it is not going to sell for US$8,000.00. Would anyone like to buy it for US$7,000.00 (plus shipping)? Please reply by private message if you're interested.

My concertina is still available. It seems, from the lack of response, that it is not going to sell for US$8,000.00. Would anyone like to buy it for US$7,000.00 (plus shipping)? Please reply by private message if you're interested.

I know it's not of my business, but you really don't want to consider putting it on eBay? You can set the minimum price at US$7,000.00 if you want, but it will allow a bigger crowd to be aware of the instrument, I think.

There are two reasons why I hesitate to use ebay to sell my concertina. I was reluctant to bring these up because doing so may hijack my Dipper thread into an extended discussion of ebay. But here we go anyway.

First, the concertina's price will have to be much higher on ebay to cover the additional selling fees. The insertion and final value fees ($52.00 for auctions, much more for fixed-price formats) are just the tip of the iceberg. A seller withdrawing funds from Paypal must pay several additional fees: a funds withdrawal fee of 2.9% plus cross-border fees of 3.9% + 1% plus a currency conversion fee of 2.5%. (Have I missed any fees? It's complicated!) Thus I'll have to set the selling price on ebay much higher.

But the real problem for a seller of an irreplaceable, delicate, expensive item like a Dipper is this: Paypal, which ebay requires sellers to use (no checks allowed), holds payments for 21 days, or until the buyer leaves positive feedback, or until the seller can confirm that the item was delivered and 3 days elapse after that. People on this forum have repeatedly said that the only safe way to sell on ebay is to ship a concertina after the buyer's funds are received. However, the Paypal payment hold policy makes it nearly impossible to receive buyer funds before shipping a concertina. After the seller has shipped a concertina, an evil-minded buyer can leave negative feedback (deserved or not) in an attempt to recover funds--and may damage the concertina before returning it, if he even bothers to return it.

Does this sound familiar? A recent thread here has described similar behavior in several instances by gpanda123, who leaves questionable negative feedback and swaps reeds in concertinas that he returns. I don't think his negative feedback is being left just for fun, although he clearly enjoys being cruel. It appears from his feedback that he's also attempting to block the release of his funds to sellers.

I don't see how to minimize the ebay risk to a seller except to ship a concertina only after the funds are actually cleared and released by Paypal, which will be 21 days. But that delay invites a claim from the buyer, in which case the funds probably won't be released at all.

This of course is a worst-case scenario. But it can occur. And that, plus the higher price I'll have to charge on ebay, is why I haven't tried to sell my Dipper on ebay. Yet.

how old is the instrument? am i missing this? i did see something about it having been lightly played since purchased new, but when was that?

i own one that i purchased used through this site for a bit less than the price you are now asking. this was about four years ago, though, which would seem to me to indicate that your current price should not be too far off the mark---provided, however, that the instrument is not more than a couple of years old, and is in like-new condition. if it is older and/or somewhat worn, perhaps the market finds the current asking price high....or perhaps people simply do not have cash right now. i know how they feel.... :ph34r:

in my case, the cliche was true---being able to own an instrument with the best-possible action, in terms of speed and response (i mean buttons, reeds, and bellows by that) did indeed take my playing to a higher level. irish players whose records i cherish have sighed with envy over the action and response of this instrument. on the down side, its voice, though plenty loud in a quiet setting, is inaudible in a noisy setting with the deafening bg noise that now seems to be ubiquitous be it in irish or u.s. pub sessions....on the other hand, i've read comments on this problem to the effect that no concertina cuts through, but for the loud-version jeffries models and certain edgeleys.....

Yes I'm a bit puzzled as to why the instrument won't sell for US$7000, seems like a terrific price to me to get your hand on a Dipper concertina with no wait time. I remember when I was in the market for a new concertina, I would have jumped on that one like a wolf :-)

its voice, though plenty loud in a quiet setting, is inaudible in a noisy setting with the deafening bg noise that now seems to be ubiquitous be it in irish or u.s. pub sessions....on the other hand, i've read comments on this problem to the effect that no concertina cuts through, but for the loud-version jeffries models and certain edgelys.....

The problem isn't your concertina- it's really any concertina. The sound on the concertina goes out the sides, two feet or so away from the player's ears. In a loud session I have to play the flute if I want to hear myself. But at that point I always wish I was home, though there have been some great times in loud sessions - in Kilfenora with the old guys, for instance, when I thought I'd died and gone to... well... to Kilfenora.

There are two reasons why I hesitate to use ebay to sell my concertina. I was reluctant to bring these up because doing so may hijack my Dipper thread into an extended discussion of ebay. But here we go anyway.

First, the concertina's price will have to be much higher on ebay to cover the additional selling fees. The insertion and final value fees ($52.00 for auctions, much more for fixed-price formats) are just the tip of the iceberg. A seller withdrawing funds from Paypal must pay several additional fees: a funds withdrawal fee of 2.9% plus cross-border fees of 3.9% + 1% plus a currency conversion fee of 2.5%. (Have I missed any fees? It's complicated!) Thus I'll have to set the selling price on ebay much higher.

But the real problem for a seller of an irreplaceable, delicate, expensive item like a Dipper is this: Paypal, which ebay requires sellers to use (no checks allowed), holds payments for 21 days, or until the buyer leaves positive feedback, or until the seller can confirm that the item was delivered and 3 days elapse after that. People on this forum have repeatedly said that the only safe way to sell on ebay is to ship a concertina after the buyer's funds are received. However, the Paypal payment hold policy makes it nearly impossible to receive buyer funds before shipping a concertina. After the seller has shipped a concertina, an evil-minded buyer can leave negative feedback (deserved or not) in an attempt to recover funds--and may damage the concertina before returning it, if he even bothers to return it.

Does this sound familiar? A recent thread here has described similar behavior in several instances by gpanda123, who leaves questionable negative feedback and swaps reeds in concertinas that he returns. I don't think his negative feedback is being left just for fun, although he clearly enjoys being cruel. It appears from his feedback that he's also attempting to block the release of his funds to sellers.

I don't see how to minimize the ebay risk to a seller except to ship a concertina only after the funds are actually cleared and released by Paypal, which will be 21 days. But that delay invites a claim from the buyer, in which case the funds probably won't be released at all.

This of course is a worst-case scenario. But it can occur. And that, plus the higher price I'll have to charge on ebay, is why I haven't tried to sell my Dipper on ebay. Yet.

I had 2 thoughts; couldn't agree more about Ebay/Paypal so how about, firstly ring Colin Dipper up and see what he can do. I am fairly sure he sells concertinas on commission and who better to be offering it for sale than him? I'd have thought if he was willing to take it on you'd be safe enough posting it to him to deal with. The other idea is more ponderous. The ICA will run 'small ads' in Concertina News, and that would be worth a try, but the issues are widely spaced and it might take a while to get into print. It's certainly the right audience for it though.

My concertina has been sold. As it turns out, a friend bought it right here in my city! And my little Dipper will get the love, attention, and talent it deserves.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice, and enjoy the music!