Rapper dance with anglo - vintage

gavdav

Gavin,

That great clip has come up several times in this forum; always nice to see it again. Here are two of the threads that discussed it.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7550&st=20&p=72500&hl=miners&fromsearch=1entry72500

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1787&st=0&p=16740&hl=miners&fromsearch=1entry16740

Cheers,

Dan

I can't hear any sound ( did they have sound then or was it a silent film?) do you mean from the fingering. Looks liek a C whistle , Clarkes?

The first link in this thread takes you to a clip with sound & a concertina player. There is a soundless "out take" reel with a whistle player. The box player makes generous use of the "doppler effect" in his playing.

Thanks i missed it!

the player is on Anglo and sounds a lively and accomplshed player.

The march on tune sounds like a march in Eb or Bb , we used to sing some jingostic words we were taught at school as a kid in Manchester in the 40s about Britannia's Family Tree to the song a also a bit like the tune from the ABC cinemas Saturday matineed later on.

the jig is in Am and seems along the middle row of a C/G ( anyone worked out how many buttons it has?) It sounds related to Tenpenny Bit which is still played for rapper dances. Not necessarily Irish although there were quite a few Irish settled in the mining areas of the NE. Similar tunes were played on fiddle and can be found in tune books from the 18th C onwards.

I can't hear any sound ( did they have sound then or was it a silent film?) do you mean from the fingering. Looks liek a C whistle , Clarkes?

I found the sound on the clip in the original post to be VERY quiet, I could just about hear it at full volume - try setting the amp to 11 :lol:

(then I blasted my eardrums later on, since I'd forgotten to wind it back down)

They used an extract form that fil set against some current rapper dancers on BBC 4 Unthank sidters' programme last night.

Clog dancing tonight!

Best nights TV for a long time .Especially as they featured our own Penzance Golowan Band with Penglaze.Bob