Jeffries Scam On Ebay

Stephen Chambers

Dang, just over an hour!!  Not bad!

Even better... but also worse: I got an email from a friend directing me to yet another beautiful instrument on eBay, but it was already gone. I thought it must have been the same as Bill E. noted, but for some reason I checked, and my friend's cut-and-pasted URL had a different item number than Bill's link. Said friend then checked back to the original photos (from the real auction), and said yes, they're the same pictures.

So it looks like there were at least two attempted scams using the same original auction for text and pictures, on the same day, and maybe within an hour or less of each other. Did members here alert eBay on both of them? Is someone not on Concertina.net also looking for and reporting such frauds? Or is eBay getting the jump on us by doing their own monitoring?

Nice to know they're being taken down quickly. Not so nice that they seem to be springing up almost as quickly. And still disturbing that the perpetrators aren't being stopped by action -- e.g., police action -- outside of eBay.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to know they're being taken down quickly.  Not so nice that they seem to be springing up almost as quickly.  And still disturbing that the perpetrators aren't being stopped by action -- e.g., police action -- outside of eBay.

It may well be that someone in eBay has twigged that this is a hot area at present and is keeping an eye on it. It still behooves us to keep reporting instances when we see them in case said hypothetical employee gets moved elsewhere or otherwise looses vigilance. Also,of course, the perp may (probably will) turn his or her attention elsewhere, in due course, only to return when we are - supposedly - less vigilant.

Jim - what sort of police action has been taking place? I haven't seen any reports myself.

Chris

Jim - what sort of police action has been taking place? I haven't seen any reports myself.

None that I know of. I guess my wording was ambiguous (though of course I didn't realize that when I wrote it).

I didn't mean that police action was being taken but was ineffective. I meant that it should be taken, but as far as I could tell, it wasn't. After all, it is attempted fraud, and appears to be multiple attempts by the same party. So there should be some effort to try to identify the party and file criminal charges against them, hopefully before the *attempted* fraud becomes actual fraud. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if whoever it is has already succeeded with other, non-concertina items.)