The Kathleen Seebrook Collection

Alan Day

Sometime ago I purchased an old book of Country Dances collected by Kathleen Seabrook Who lived (Lives) in Banstead Nr Epsom Surrey. Some of these tunes may be known to you certainly I recognised one instantly, but others look as though they may be rare.

As we are waiting on Will Fly to finish the pages of the old Concertina book I thought this might keep you going.My computer skills are limited so I will down load these as separate sheets,perhaps someone could collect them up as I go and let me know when I can send the next lot through.I will send them in the order they appear in the book.

I have had ro reduce the size down to 30% as the file was too large.I hope you can read them.

Al :)

My computer skills are limited so I will down load these as separate sheets

I have had ro reduce the size down to 30% as the file was too large.I hope you can read them.

No, they're actually something of a pain, even to my young eyes. I think what you really want is to save them at original size in a format that will provide some data compression-- not as BMP files, but JPG or PNG or GIF, or nearly anything else. If you can't figure out how to do something like that, I may be able to provide advice, depending on what program you're saving them with. Or I could whip them all up in a jiffy myself, if you had a way to get me the original files.

The original first page I posted the file was too large for it to be accepted,hence the reduced sizes.Let me try a compressed version of the next tune and see if that is better.If it is I will repost the first ones.

Well the answer is that it is too large a file to be accepted.

I will now try a 50% version

Sometime ago I purchased an old book of Country Dances collected by Kathleen Seabrook Who lived (Lives) in Banstead Nr Epsom Surrey. Some of these tunes may be known to you certainly I recognised one instantly, but others look as though they may be rare.

As we are waiting on Will Fly to finish the pages of the old Concertina book I thought this might keep you going.My computer skills are limited so I will down load these as separate sheets,perhaps someone could collect them up as I go and let me know when I can send the next lot through.I will send them in the order they appear in the book.

Hallo Al,

I've collected your scans and gave them a place on the Internet. They can be viewed here: http://www.box.net/shared/oz5nlc75ip

(Edited to give the correct link.)

Edited by Leonard

Hallo Al,

I've collected your scans and gave them a place on the Internet. They can be viewed here: http://www.box.net/shared/biezjtg56b

Many thanks Leonard.

Just tried your link and posted two more 59 & 60

I will delete my down loads in the next couple of days this seems to be the easiest route.

Please let me know if these are worthwhile.

Just posted a lot more

Plus "How to Dance The Hornpipe" For you Dancers out there

Al

Yes all this effort is useful. Thanks for doing it. The ones on the collection site seem better than those posted to concertina net, but that could be because I didn't spend much time with the ones at c-net. I've a couple of small suggestions which, depending on how you are doing the scanning might help in the future.

1) If your scanner has a black and white setting experiment with it. You may be able to get a nice clean image without the background created by the old paper.

2) bmp is a very space consuming format! If you can scan to pdf or jpg you should get as high a quality with less space taken up YMMV thought!

3) You can play with the "dots per inch" settings on the scanners to minimize size too, but you have to be careful to avoid going too far so that expanding the size to print larger doesn't get all jagged.

Please understand that this is an attempt to be helpful, and not to complain about your efforts. Those are only to be lauded.

If you are interested in any of these tunes and there is a bit missing just let me know and I can fill in the dots you require.

I have scanned all the sheets now and they will be added to Leonard's page so the whole collection will be available there.I will then delete the earlier postings.

There must be something useful amongst this lot.

Al