eye catcher!

Seán Ó Fearghail

Greg,

My guess is that this was a collector who bought it. and he'll likely hold on to it. As you say, not from the golden period. On the other hand, there are not many around. I do know of one like this from the golden period (what would that be worth if put on the market?). I think you're right that demand and availability has driven prices and English concertinas (and duets) have been a relative bargain over the recent past.

The collapse of the Irish economy has seen the demand for anglos reduce and an associated drop in price of vintage instruments. I'm guessing that the current financial situation worldwide could drag on a while with an associated reduced demand for anglos. Demand for English concertinas was never as feverish over the recent past and the price of these seems to be unaffected so far (perhaps even somewhat increased).

Who knows, with the likes of Robert Harbron and the upsurge (in the UK at least) of English music vs Irish music, the day of the English Concertina is returning!

Check this one out:

http://hmi.homewood.net/wheatduet/

I was in the shop and saw this last March; it is spectacular. I didn't get to handle it though.

NNY

DO NOT let Dirge (or his wife!) see this one.

Greg

Already got one, so I can look without getting upset, but it is a particularly pretty specimen.

Mine may have worn plating on the ends but I bought it off Iris Bishop and she had had it for sometime; when she got it originally she had it overhauled by Colin Dipper and the case has the standard 'Concertinas and Aeolas' Wheatstone badge in the lid and next to it Colin's own.

I hardly notice the size after a few months and never touch the lightweight 71 that you've heard on recordings I've posted here before. I'm thinking I might try trading that for another 81, perhaps a wooden ended one for the different tone. I can't imagine using it seriously again, but don't want to just sell it because I share Ralphie's view that it's only a matter of time before the price of duets skyrockets and my wife accepts that 3 concertinas is the status quo. If I reduce to 2 will I be allowed another one again?

An 81 is a lump when you lift it off the table at arm's length, mind you, but what a lot of instrument.

. . . . . . I can't imagine using it seriously again, but don't want to just sell it because I share Ralphie's view that it's only a matter of time before the price of duets skyrockets and my wife accepts that 3 concertinas is the status quo. If I reduce to 2 will I be allowed another one again? . . . . . .

Aha.

Exposed as a speculating collector preventing beautiful instruments from being played!! cool.gif

. . . . . . I can't imagine using it seriously again, but don't want to just sell it because I share Ralphie's view that it's only a matter of time before the price of duets skyrockets and my wife accepts that 3 concertinas is the status quo. If I reduce to 2 will I be allowed another one again? . . . . . .

Aha.

Exposed as a speculating collector preventing beautiful instruments from being played!! cool.gif

"...and my wife accepts that 3 concertinas is the status quo."

Or a desperate man, clinging by his fingernails to territory hard won during a marriage and concurrent love affair with the concertina. Regardless of the outcome, we salute you!

Greg

Aha.

"...and my wife accepts that 3 concertinas is the status quo."

Or a desperate man, clinging by his fingernails to territory hard won during a marriage and concurrent love affair with the concertina. Regardless of the outcome, we salute you!

Greg

Elements of truth in both of them, I'm afraid, but Greg is closer to how I see it. It has taken time to train Sal to accept the third child.