eye catcher!

Seán Ó Fearghail

The Wheatstone ledger entry shows:

• Model "20B", which seems to make it a special baritone. (This 1935 price list shows only 20 and 20a, but both are baritones, and the extrapolation seems reasonable.)
  • "Amb": Amboyna for the external veneered wooden parts, i.e., the sides of the ends.
  • "G.P ends": Gold plated ends, for sure.
  • "Gold 60 keys + fit": 60 buttons, with buttons and fittings (finger plates, thumbscrews, etc.) also gold-plated.

I'm sure the final bid on that one will be well above the current $510.

Edited to add: I posted this before noticing that there's another thread about the same instrument, here in the History subForum. And that seems to be where others are posting their comments

Edited by JimLucas

Edited to add: I posted this before noticing that there's another thread about the same instrument, here in the History subForum. And that seems to be where others are posting their comments.

My fault - I started that thread before seeing this one.

Fault, schmalt! Such things happen.
Especially when a subject fits more than one subForum category.

I don't suppose we could get Invision to add a new feature to their forum software, whereby initially separate threads could be spun (twisted) or braided together? :unsure: B)

Actually, I have a moderator command that allows me to merge two threads. No idea how the result looks (and I have to choose one place to put the result). Maybe this is the time to try it?

Ken

Once must be the first time....

But which forum, which topic title?

This one has a more catching title, the other one is more informative.

Being a moderator is full of dilemmas!!

Actually, I have a moderator command that allows me to merge two threads. No idea how the result looks (and I have to choose one place to put the result). Maybe this is the time to try it?

Ken

Earliest date/time???

Thanks

Leo :unsure:

Ken

Earliest date/time???

Thanks

Leo :unsure:

The least thread drift?? cool.gif

Bit of interest then...

So who is "that special someone" who's going to get it for Christmas? :blink:

Warren Buffett? Bill Gates? Some Saudi Oil Sheik? ;)

Greg

I see that this is now up at £4675 with 14 hours to go.

Edit: I see that a change in the exchange rate has revised the current price down to £4560.

Sold for $7,279.99

Steve,

I wonder if that change in the high bid was due to a bid being withdrawn (see item bid history which had the withdrawl of a $10,000. bid). Perhaps someone suddenly came to their senses or there was a spousal intervention! :rolleyes:

Greg

I see that this is now up at £4675 with 14 hours to go.

Edit: I see that a change in the exchange rate has revised the current price down to £4560.

Sold for $7,279.99

Steve,

I wonder if that change in the high bid was due to a bid being withdrawn (see item bid history which had the withdrawl of a $10,000. bid). Perhaps someone suddenly came to their senses or there was a spousal intervention! :rolleyes:

Greg

Wouldn't be surprised... ;)

All things considered, I think that is a fair price. Especially when you look at the price 30-button anglos go for.

Paul,

Are you prognosticating a market shift?

Considering the cost of currently producing an english concertina with concertina reeds the price of vintage instruments has been a relative bargain. I have to imagine that is a also a function of demand and availability. (Where would the price of englishes be if Noel Hill, Chris Droney, Tim Collins et all played rigs and jeels with english system intruments?!!)

Pro: The instrument was a baritone, an Aeola and with elite cosmetic trappings and albeit the dull finish looked in good condition. Con: It was probably hook and arm action and 10 years removed from the "golden period" of production.

Perhaps we will see it again in the future?

Greg