Guardian Angels

michael sam wild

A friend, Tony Wilson , a local fiddler has introduced this nice tune to our Sunday sessions.

it's from the Joshua Jackson tune book which is not available currently.

It is on a CD by Magnetic North made in 1997 ( in key of A )

On the Fiddlers companion site it is given in G and apparently was popular in the 1770s.

There is mention of a song to the same tune.

Has anyone got the words and does anyone know where I might buy a copy of the Jackson book which is out of print? The original is still in his family's possession.

Thanks Chas. Would it be danced as a minuet?

JJ must hyave been a character, A corn miller and accomplished fiddler . I was inspired by the 70s LP, Trip to Harrogate which I wore out. Just got the reissue CD to replace it, from Fellside at bargain price. Still an inspiration.

I reckon that period was a high spot for dance music and a coming together of various classes and musicians. In the pub as well as at the Assemblies and Balls and often in church or chapel. the buildings were made for acoustic music,. Artisan musicans and amateurs were thriving with fiddle, flute, cello etc.. They seem to have travelled freely within Britain and Ireland and shared tunes rapidly with other European and American musicians.

the concertina came in at the tail end of that period and i'd love to know how concertina players added their contribution to such gatherings

I'd love to go back for a week!

Edited by michael sam wild

Thanks Chas. Would it be danced as a minuet?

As a minuet? You've got me there, Mike! The dance instructions are:

cast off 2 Cu: & up again ./ Cross over 2 Cu: lead up to the top & cast off ../ Hands across with 3rd Cu: & back again ./ .. Hands 4 at top right and left ../..

Then follows an adaptation for a 3 couple set.

Maybe you can decide.

Chas