J Wallis concertina

baloo

I have an anglo concertina with a makers name of j Wallis of Euston Road London. This is a 20 button instrument a very much like a lachenal with the fretwork. It has several serial numbers-372,378 and 399 all in different places. can anyone help with a date or any other info ?

post-8947-0-35008000-1289766989_thumb.jpg

I have an anglo concertina with a makers name of j Wallis of Euston Road London. This is a 20 button instrument a very much like a lachenal with the fretwork. It has several serial numbers-372,378 and 399 all in different places. can anyone help with a date or any other info ?

Wallis were major London dealers and instruments with their brand are often found. As I've commented previously:

Virtually all the J. Wallis concertinas I have seen were made by Lachenal's, though I think I have seen the odd one by George Jones.

However, if you are meaning to say that "It has several serial numbers - 372, 378 and 399 all in different places" (the spacing being all-important!) then I'd suggest (especially as Wallis were also in the reed-organ business) that yours might be a Tidder.

Just when I thought this mystery was cracked!! The numbers are 'printed' on the valve plate, different numbers each end and then another number on the inside of the bellows housing. I've dismantled further still and loaded 2 more photo's

Regards

Bobpost-8947-0-38860000-1289940177_thumb.jpgpost-8947-0-72063800-1289940198_thumb.jpg

Stephen

I've followed the link you so kindly posted and compared the series of photos from 'wayland' and without a doubt my instrument is identical. The fretwork is the same as is the screws, the strap retaining screws etc. However I sort of lost the thread as to who actually made this concertina. can you put me out of my misery

Regards

Bob

Stephen

I've followed the link you so kindly posted and compared the series of photos from 'wayland' and without a doubt my instrument is identical. The fretwork is the same as is the screws, the strap retaining screws etc. However I sort of lost the thread as to who actually made this concertina. can you put me out of my misery

Regards

Bob

Bob,

Firstly I was querying if it had three 3-digit serial numbers (as I first read your post as saying that it had two serial numbers; "372,378 and 399") because it couldn't be a Lachenal if it did. But now that I've seen your photos, my suspicions are confirmed and it looks very much like the instruments we attribute to Tidder (since we have yet to find one with the actual maker's name on it) and that's what I think it is.

Stephen