concertina documentary

varney

/I just found a clip from a documentary on concertinas on Youtube...

Does anyone know if the whole programme is available to view online somewhere?

Thanks

Michael.

Hi Michael

I've never seen the whole program, but it's available from her directly in DVD format.

http://www.concertina-academy.com/

Thanks

Leo

Thanks Leo........... I just read a mention on an old post that this was being televised and thought there might be an online version available to view.

I've watched ( with pleasure ) the old Pathe News piece on Wheatstones and am wondering are there any other documentaries, programmes etc which feature concertinas, makers, players etc etc? I'd be very grateful to learn of anything like this....

Thanks,

Michael.

Thanks Leo........... I just read a mention on an old post that this was being televised and thought there might be an online version available to view.

I've watched ( with pleasure ) the old Pathe News piece on Wheatstones and am wondering are there any other documentaries, programmes etc which feature concertinas, makers, players etc etc? I'd be very grateful to learn of anything like this....

Thanks,

Michael.

Hi Michael

That's a question similar to "Can you tell me all you know of the meaning of life?" There are hundreds of different videos, depending on the search. :huh:

There are old time players:

There are videos exploring regional differences in styles:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4069771203443425133#

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8433471030914379281#

Thanks

Leo :)

Thanks Leo,

I guess I wasn't very clear in asking my question ( this seems to happen me frequently on this forum!) I'm very familiar with the range of clips of concertina music on Youtube, and the inclusion of concertina music /players in programmes which brodadly cover traditional Irish music. What I was trying to find were programmes which focus specifically on the concertina itself, players of the instrument, its history etc..

Outside of the Pathe News clip and the documentary programme which is available from Concertina Academy on DVD, the only programme I can find which focuses specifically on the concertina is the Ceird and Ceoil episode on Micheal O'Raghallaigh - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbxQCPxzj58

Was there ever any other programmes made which looked specifically at concertina music? I feel there surely must have been but I can't seem to find any information. At the very least I would have thought there were some radio programmes which dealt specifically with concertina music, its history or its players?

Michael.

Was there ever any other programmes made which looked specifically at concertina music? I feel there surely must have been but I can't seem to find any information. At the very least I would have thought there were some radio programmes which dealt specifically with concertina music, its history or its players?

Michael.

Hi Michael - there have been at least two programmes on radio in the last few years - one of these was "The Concertina Man" .... herewith a useful link

http://www.concertin...concertina-man/

I think there is audio content at that link for you. :)

There was also a programme of the same name produced by Tim Laycock, I believe - can't find that one on line.

And there was also the more recent programme, "Wheatstone, His sighing Reed and the Great Regondi" - another BBC programme from a few years ago .... another link with audio file attached

http://www.concertin...-reed/index.htm

Hoorah for concertina.com !!

Edited by Irene S

Thank you so much, Irene. These are exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for. I shall listen to them in full when I'm working on an instrument ( what better time?!)

I haven't had time to really explore the wealth of material over on concertina.net but someday, someday! If anyone else knows of any other audio or video programmes dealing explicitly with the concertina I'd love to hear about them.

Many thanks,

Michael.

Thanks Leo,

I guess I wasn't very clear in asking my question ( this seems to happen me frequently on this forum!) I'm very familiar with the range of clips of concertina music on Youtube, and the inclusion of concertina music /players in programmes which brodadly cover traditional Irish music. What I was trying to find were programmes which focus specifically on the concertina itself, players of the instrument, its history etc..

Outside of the Pathe News clip and the documentary programme which is available from Concertina Academy on DVD, the only programme I can find which focuses specifically on the concertina is the Ceird and Ceoil episode on Micheal O'Raghallaigh - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbxQCPxzj58

Michael.

Hi Michael

Not a big deal. It happens to me all the time. I was thinking in a totally different direction. The ones I can find usually revolve around the people playing the music, and their choice of instrument. After looking for a while today, you've already found the best of what's out there.

Try these two

English Concertina for Beginners Part 12 ... What's Inside

Concertina maker Bob Tedrow

Those radio programs Irene came up with are really great. I didn't know about them.

Thanks

Leo :unsure:

Edited by Leo

In the notes to this youtube video they mention the "jazz legend Pietro Valente", who I assume is the older gentleman who appears at one point. Does anyone know anything about him? Is he a concertina player? Are there recordings of his playing?

Thanks

JM

Thanks Leo..... I'd already come across the English Concertina clip, but the Bob Tedrow one was new to me.

Glad the thread brought the radio shows to both our attentions.

Thanks Irene!

Michael.

My pleasure to be of assistance Leo and Michael! Until I googled, I didn't know that they were accessible, although I had heard at least one of them before. Re the Tim Laycock programme, it might be worth hunting to see if it's around anywhere - I haven't been able to find it, but I know someone who has a recording of it if you're desperate in due course.

Edited by Irene S

In the notes to this youtube video they mention the "jazz legend Pietro Valente", who I assume is the older gentleman who appears at one point. Does anyone know anything about him? Is he a concertina player? Are there recordings of his playing?

Yes, Pietro is a concertina player.

I met him a couple of times at the German concertina weekends in Bielefeld, where he taught jazz chords and styling.

He lived for many years in Germany, but my friend Concertino tells me Pietro is now back in his native Italy, and unfortunately not in the best of health. Pietro and Concertino are good friends. If I remember correctly, Pietro got his start as a clown, before turning full-time to "serious" music. (Mind you, many professional clowns in Europe play quite serious music quite expertly as a standard part of their act.)

The bit of playing right after Pietro's face is shown is certainly Pietro. A few years ago there was a video produced about his life, but as far as I know it's not on YouTube, and I don't even know if it's publicly available.

Maybe Robert Pich (Concertina.net member Conzertino, who now with Juliette Daum organizes the German Concertina Meeting) could tell us more about Pietro? And speaking of the German Concertina Meeting, Rainer Süßmilch will be teaching an “all that jazz” class. I believe it was Pietro who got Rainer started playing jazz.

A few years ago there was a video produced about [Pietro's] life, but as far as I know it's not on YouTube, and I don't even know if it's publicly available.

Presumably that must be the one that I referred to as being broadcast in 2005:

For those of you who can receive German television, I see that there is a film called "Lebenslinien: Pietro, der König der Concertinaon", about Pietro Valente, being shown on Friday 20th May at 10.15 a.m., on Bayerisches Fernsehen.