Having Trouble Figuring Out Key for First Concertina

I've decided to take up the concertina (for traditional Irish music), and I've run into some difficulty deciding what one to buy. As much as I'd like a Rochelle, my budget is <$200, so that's out. I had decided to get a Hohner D40 until a few days ago when I learned that the regular Irish session in my town always plays in D, and the D40 is in C/G.

Not knowing much about concertinas, I'm not sure what to do here. Is it possible to play in D with a C/G concertina? Is there anything in D in my price range?

Sorry if these are really elementary questions, but I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks.

I've decided to take up the concertina (for traditional Irish music), and I've run into some difficulty deciding what one to buy. As much as I'd like a Rochelle, my budget is &lt;$200, so that's out. I had decided to get a Hohner D40 until a few days ago when I learned that the regular Irish session in my town always plays in D, and the D40 is in C/G. Not knowing much about concertinas, I'm not sure what to do here. Is it possible to play in D with a C/G concertina? Is there anything in D in my price range? Sorry if these are really elementary questions, but I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks.
Others will give you a more fullsome answer probably, but the usual practice these days is to play a 30 button C/G concertina in an Irish session in D (and a few other keys as well), but you'll need that 3rd row of buttons. You'll be hard pressed to find anything cheaper than a Rochelle to begin with. They sometimes show up used here for less than $300. Edited by Bill N

I've decided to take up the concertina (for traditional Irish music), and I've run into some difficulty deciding what one to buy. As much as I'd like a Rochelle, my budget is $200, so that's out. I had decided to get a Hohner D40 until a few days ago when I learned that the regular Irish session in my town always plays in D, and the D40 is in C/G. Not knowing much about concertinas, I'm not sure what to do here. Is it possible to play in D with a C/G concertina? Is there anything in D in my price range? Sorry if these are really elementary questions, but I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks.
Others will give you a more fullsome answer probably, but the usual practice these days is to play a 30 button C/G concertina in an Irish session in D (and a few other keys as well), but you'll need that 3rd row of buttons. You'll be hard pressed to find anything cheaper than a Rochelle to begin with. They sometimes show up used here for less than $300.

I believe that a D40 is a 20-button C/G, which means it won't have a C#, and that will cause you problems on many Irish tunes. It's possible to work around that, but not easy for a beginner. You're much better off with a Rochelle if you can get the money somehow. If not, a used Bastari or Stagi 30-button would probably be a better bet than the D-40 if you can find one in your price range. I've seen them for $200 on eBay before.

ps Most (all?) irish session will play tunes in both G and D with occsional flits to A if there are a lot of fiddlers.

If they restricted themselves to D half the tunes would be out of reach.

pps it's rare to get any other keys ... playing in C or F happens very occasionally and usually leaves everyone in complete confusion

I've decided to take up the concertina (for traditional Irish music), and I've run into some difficulty deciding what one to buy. As much as I'd like a Rochelle, my budget is <$200, so that's out.

If the $200 barrier is absolute, and your musical forays won't be exclusively in ITM, you might be able to get a used 20 button East-German made Scholer in the keys of G/D for under $100. I picked one up in a junk shop for around $40, and they show up on ebay from time to time. They aren't great to play, but you could manage the majority of tunes in a slow/beginner's session in the old "along the rows" style. You could get a start on a whole lot of other folk music as well. And if you find you like it, and are getting along well, your Scholer will probably be falling apart just as you are ready to upgrade!

If you are serious about playing ITM in the contemporary style though, you probably will want to start on a 3 row C/G and learn the cross row fingering right from the start.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've done some research, and I think I've settled on a plan.

I'm going to go with The Button Box's rental program, since that seems to be the best way for me to get a good concertina without blowing my budget.

Here's where I could use some advice from people actually familiar with the instruments: do I go with the 30-button Rochelle in C/G or the 20-button Stagi C-1 in G/D (the retail prices are $349 and $375, respectively)? I'd naturally assume the Stagi, but knowing nothing about the different makes, I figure I should get some expert opinions.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've done some research, and I think I've settled on a plan.

I'm going to go with The Button Box's rental program, since that seems to be the best way for me to get a good concertina without blowing my budget.

Here's where I could use some advice from people actually familiar with the instruments: do I go with the 30-button Rochelle in C/G or the 20-button Stagi C-1 in G/D (the retail prices are $349 and $375, respectively)? I'd naturally assume the Stagi, but knowing nothing about the different makes, I figure I should get some expert opinions.

Once again, there are others here more qualified to comment, but I went through this same process 2 years ago, so can at least give you that perspective.

If you think ITM will be your main thing, then go with the Rochelle. Although it sounds counter-intuitive, it's faster (once you've learned the fingering) to play in D across the rows than in the "home row" on a G/D insrument. Almost all the instructional literature for concertina is written for C/G instruments. And you'll want the 3rd row of accidentals once you progress beyond the beginner stage. IMHO the Rochelle is better made, easier to play and feels more like a "real" concertina than the Stagi, although I know the Button Box checks their's out and tweaks them up a bit before they leave the shop. And if you decide to upgrade, you'll have a lot more to choose from if you are looking for a C/G.

I started out with a Rochelle and moved to a 30 button Morse in G/D because I decided to focus on English-style playing, with lots of chording and oom-pah stuff on the left hand. G/D works really well for that, but when I've sat in on fast Irish sessions it's been a bit limiting (although my skill level has something to do with it as well.)

Bill