Gymnopedie by Erik satie

michael sam wild

I don't know about concertina recordings, but some years ago I bought a flute and piano arrangement of the three gymnopedies which I used to play on my recorder. It was published by Fentone music in their "Golden Flute" series, catalogue no. F110, arranged by Robin de Smet.

Whether it is still in print or not I don't know, but there will almost certainly be other arrangements available from the music publishers. If you can read music, it will be a fairly straightforward task to work out the chords as the piano part is simply a series of chords, mostly one to a bar over which the melody is "floated".

I transcribed no. 1 into my computer and still have it, so I could post it as a pdf or a midi file if you wish.

Hope this helps.

Edit to say: Come to think of it, my scanner software can scan directly to pdf, so I could probably scan all three into the computer and post them somewhere. Let me know if that will help.

Geoff

Edited by Tootler

Thanks folks, that Mutopia stuff was great , the score looks quite interesting.

Tootler, I've PMd you thanks.

He was quite a character according to Wikipedia. I love those dreamy chords, he influenced Debussy for sure. I first heard it on a TV show in the 70s , about windmills , and it was so evocative .

Nice piano piece on YouTube

Edited by michael sam wild

Thanks folks, that Mutopia stuff was great , the score looks quite interesting.

Tootler, I've PMd you thanks.

I have sent you a pdf to the email address in your PM.

Hope you find it useful, but if the Mutopia stuff is OK, then discard mine.

Cheers

Geoff

Some years ago my I transcribed this piece from a solo flute with piano accompaniment. Though it was well received in recital, it meant taking out an adagio piece by Bach which I preferred to play. So I only played it a few times and dropped from my repertoire.

rss

Thanks for the info so far.

Apparently Satie was not esteemed at first. He styled himself a 'gymnopedist' - bare footed - as a response

He was dismissed as a pianist from the Paris Conseratory.

The piece I like is alternating Major 7ths and the mild dissonance was disliked at the time . In the key of D it has one based on the subdominant G and then on D.

The tunes drifts around those chords and I love the ambiguity of the music.

Nowadays such chords are important in jazz and pop music