No Tea,No Pain

OLDNICKILBY

Let me start by saying that I am not a Food Faddy. However I have been drinking far too much real leaf tea, around 15 to 20 beakers a day. None of your weak wishy washy tea bag stuff but real hard core Tea. Having been on holiday in France and not drinking so much as one cup of the amber nectar(tea that is) my knees and hands stopped hurting and I could walk without pain and my wrists and fingers stopped complaining when I played the beloved Tina.

Soon after I came back from France I sold a Tina to someone who remarked about my ease of walking. I told him the tale of the tea, he was a Micro-Biologist and recounted what was in the tea that was causing the symptoms. I have stopped drinking Tea and the results are brilliant

Hence "No Tea, No Pain"

I thought it was supposed to work in the opposite way - that tea is good for us! But maybe you were drinking too much black tea?

You might try the occasional cup of jasmine or green made the chinese way - put a small pinch of good quality loose tea in a mug, top up with boiling water. Then continue to refill for up to five cups (actually, I go on for the whole day). It's weak, but lovely... and probably more healthy than what you were drinking.

In Autumn deciduous trees dump all their toxins then drop the leaves by abcission. Lovely colours but maybe dry tea leaves have some old rubbish? Naughty but nice. What did your scientist friend say was the active pain ingredient? tannin crystals form the bottom of wine bottles look pretty nasty and may have a similar effect to gout (uric acid) I will do some searching around and report back.

I would be happy to do a double blind placebo test but for now I wil try cutting out the tea and drinking mint tea or stick to my instant coffee addiction..

How long were you off the char?

I may ask Tony Benn how he feels , does he play concertina on his gigs with Roy Bailey?

Edited by michael sam wild

Let me start by saying that I am not a Food Faddy. However I have been drinking far too much real leaf tea, around 15 to 20 beakers a day. None of your weak wishy washy tea bag stuff but real hard core Tea. Having been on holiday in France and not drinking so much as one cup of the amber nectar(tea that is) my knees and hands stopped hurting and I could walk without pain and my wrists and fingers stopped complaining when I played the beloved Tina.

Soon after I came back from France I sold a Tina to someone who remarked about my ease of walking. I told him the tale of the tea, he was a Micro-Biologist and recounted what was in the tea that was causing the symptoms. I have stopped drinking Tea and the results are brilliant

Hence "No Tea, No Pain"

It's possible to overdo just about anything. (Might concertinas be an exception?)

Too much water, and you drown.
:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

The compounds that the micro-biologist mentioned were "Alkaloids" that attack the cartilage and muscle tissue as I understand it. This was intended as a serious topic that might possibly be helpful to others like me who suffer from joint pain. Keeping away from tea of any sort be it Green, Jasmine ,Lapsang, Gunpowder or what ever else is your tipple will be a great help. Try it for yourself if it makes moving about easier, Whoopee!!

I like raspberry and echinatia tea (with a naughty bit of honey to sweeten it)...and I've recently been giving redbush tea a go.

I only nave normal tea twice a day. Once when I wake up and one after dinner.

The compounds that the micro-biologist mentioned were "Alkaloids" that attack the cartilage and muscle tissue as I understand it. This was intended as a serious topic that might possibly be helpful to others like me who suffer from joint pain. Keeping away from tea of any sort be it Green, Jasmine ,Lapsang, Gunpowder or what ever else is your tipple will be a great help. Try it for yourself if it makes moving about easier, Whoopee!!

It
is
a serious topic.

Still, for most folks -- maybe even for you, Old Nick, -- it shouldn't be necessary to give up tea completely.

I personally find that a cup or two now and then seems to benefit my health in various ways, but 4 to 5 cups in a single day can cause problems, including but not limited to sensitivity in my joints. And that's just day-to-day variation. I hate to think how my body would react to your (former) steady diet of "15 to 20 beakers a day", if that's the same as 15-20 cups/day. Probably become stone stiff and dissolve at the same time. :o :(

As for alkaloids, there are lots (hundreds? thousands?) of different kinds. Some are considered to be beneficial, others harmful, and some are quite poisonous. One of the latter is strychnine. :ph34r:

Thank you James, I thought that you would give a serious,considered reply. A beaker for the Non-English speakers,only joking, is a large cup of about half a pint. I have restricted my intake to just two at the beginning of the day in order to start the engine. It works better than "Easy Start"

I don't think you can say 'will be a great help' we need more evidence.However it is a worthwhile recommendation and individuals may respond well. I'd rather try abstention than take something on say so.

I commented on the elderly English politician Tony Benn because he drinks gallons and is still going strong in his 80s ( you may think he talks nonsense but he's still going!)

Edited by michael sam wild

Thanks for the tip. It works biggrin.gif This last week I've cut down from an average of 10 mugs of tea a day to 5 and the pain in my shoulders and knees has lessened and ( touch wood) the back ache has gone.