36 button wheatstone linota FS

Seán Ó Fearghail

I am puzzled by this posting. The Wheatstone Linota is one of the best instruments I have played certainly equal to the Jeffries that I own. It sounds as if you are unhappy with it as you would prefer a Jeffries ,what are you unhappy about ?

I would consider that a restoration by Steve Dickinson is as good as you will get anywhere. The reeds are normally very responsive and very nice sounding, I only sold my Linota because I was doubling up on a CG but I was very reluctant to sell it.

Al

I am very reluctant to sell it too but i recently played a jeffries that a friend had and just preferred the weight and also the lay out of it. this is by far one of the top concertinas that i've had but still just the fact that i preferred the jeffries.

So you're selling -- or trading -- your Linota to get "a Jeffries"? Or is there a particular Jeffries you've tried that you like better than your Linota... and that is for sale?

My own experience is that Jeffries are not all identical, or equally comfortable, etc. In fact, I once traded Jeffries with a friend, because before the trade he found mine more comfortable and I found his more comfortable.

It would be sad if you were to trade your Linota for a Jeffries, and then the Jeffries turned out not to be as wonderful for you as the one your friend has. But for a particular Jeffries, it could make you very happy. :)

• 10 months later...

I'd like to add my two cents worth here since there has been some questioning of sales motives. I have developed over the years a great fondness for Jeffries concertinas. I find the button spacing and air button placement is ideal for someone like me with large hands. I'd love to be able to own and play a Linota but they just don't seem to fit my hands. I expect that the Wheatstone concertina layouts were greatly influenced by the patrician customers they had at the time, and I expect that Jeffries concertinas were designed to fit the hands of their predominant clientelle which I imagine were working men.

So I echo Paul's comments and those of the seller, Sean, that the Jeffries concertinas can just be right when no other concertina will seem to do. Whether it's layout or tone or some other intangible; for me at least and maybe some others: it's real.

Best regards,

Ross Schlabach

still for sale as of 25/09/2011 - 6000 euro ono.

Ouch!!! that makes £4130 GBP... Sorry, it's a little too much for me... :rolleyes:

RB

Well, of course, price is always relative. ;)

For example, in a thread next door, someone is looking for 9,000 Euro for a 44k Jeffries! Now, to many, that'll seem like just a little too much to ask for, but be honest, how would you really know, unless you'd actually seen & played the instrument.

I myself bought a Bb/F Jeffries recently for £4,000 & I was absolutely delighted with it & considered it to be worth every penny.

So, of course, if you don't have 6,000 Euro to spare, then you would consider 6,000 Euro to be too much. However, that's not to say that 6,000 Euro is asking too much for this particular instrument.

I reckon, the only way you would ever know the real value of any instrument, to you, would be if you actually gave it a test drive.

I've heard a lot about Linotas, but I've never had the pleasure of ever playing one .... it's just a shame that Limerick is so far away .... Oh, & the fact that, like you Raide Brest, I just don't have £4,130 in my back pocket, right now. :(

Cheers

Dick

I'd like to add my two cents worth here since there has been some questioning of sales motives. I have developed over the years a great fondness for Jeffries concertinas. I find the button spacing and air button placement is ideal for someone like me with large hands. I'd love to be able to own and play a Linota but they just don't seem to fit my hands. I expect that the Wheatstone concertina layouts were greatly influenced by the patrician customers they had at the time, and I expect that Jeffries concertinas were designed to fit the hands of their predominant clientelle which I imagine were working men.

So I echo Paul's comments and those of the seller, Sean, that the Jeffries concertinas can just be right when no other concertina will seem to do. Whether it's layout or tone or some other intangible; for me at least and maybe some others: it's real.

Best regards,

Ross Schlabach

i agree with ross. personal taste is a legitimate factor! i have yet to find a jeffries that i have truly fell in love with. everyone else swears by them. i would probably trade a jeffries for a good linota, rather than the other way around. i just want very specific things in an instrument, and i haven't found a jeffries that fits the bill (although ross does have good taste in jeffries).

likewise, i prefer when certain players play a jeffries, whereas i like the sound of others on a wheatstone.

so, hope you get that jeffries you want! if i had the cash (and then some) i'd pounce on the linota.

Sean,

Although I have never played a Wheatstone Anglo, I do play a couple of Jeffries & a Tenor/Treble Wheatstone & I must say, love the rich but sweet tone I get from my Wheatstone & it suits me perfectly for accompanying singers.

However, for playing Irish tunes, I must confess I prefer the edgy bark you can get from a good Jeffries. It means I can play my Irish tunes with the rough & mucky sound which for me at least, suits that music better.

Of course, that's just my own personal preference. I'm sure as many others prefer their Irish Music to have a sweeter sound.

Cheers

Dick

• 2 months later...

Noel Hill tried out my Linota and He said it had the fastest left hand (base notes) than any other concertina he had played.

It was very fast and loud.

I once nearly entered the bidding for a Linota that wasn't. Someone had switched the handle which said Linota with that of a Lachenal. Dramatically putting up the value of the instrument. I nearly fell for it, luckily a friend on this site warned me about it.

No connection with this one , but always check to make sure that you have a Wheatstone riveted action.

Al

Best regards,

Ross Schlabach

Well, that makes me want to try one of those elusive Jeffries Cranes that I've heard about. :ph34r: