Rivet Action; A Timeline?

Perhaps some of the historians and caretakers of vintage instruments can fix approximate dates to when Wheatstone began using a rivet action in their concertinas and when they abandoned it.

I have a Wheatstone treble #1073 that has a very elegant hook and eye action.

I also have a Wheatstone anglo #33301 with a bent over action.

Can some of you fill in the gaps between 1846 and 1934? Was rivet action the rule during that time or were there exceptions?

Did Lachenal ever use an action besides the hook and eye?

Thank you for any information.

Greg

Seems that this would be a good place for everybody to chip in with details,Greg! I think I know the answer to when they started, but lets see what everybody else comes up with, as it could be informative along the way.

I'll start by covering the first ten years or so after March 1846 (your #1073) by pointing to Bob's Baffles - and the two vintage Wheatstones (#1701,#8641) shown - still 'hook and eye'. But notice the difference in lever construction between the two.

Perhaps some of the historians and caretakers of vintage instruments can fix approximate dates to when Wheatstone began using a rivet action in their concertinas ...

From the mid 1860's rivetted action was the rule ...

... and when they abandoned it.

... until the mid 1930's, yours must be one of the first with the bent-over action !

I have a Wheatstone treble #1073 that has a very elegant hook and eye action.

Although it has what is often described as "Lachenal action", this instrument was made before Louis Lachenal started to manufacture for them in 1848.

It went firstly to Lady Caroline Somers Cocks, on St. Valentine's Day 1846, but its advances seem to have been spurned, so it was then sold to a Mr. Grey on 21st March that year. Lady Caroline (1817-1894) was one of Queen Victoria's Ladies-in-Waiting (a Maid of Honour) at her Coronation in 1838.

I also have a Wheatstone anglo #33301 with a bent over action.

So you have one of the batch of 40-key Wheatstone Edeophone Anglos in D/A, that came out of Cincinatti. I would love to see it !

Did Lachenal ever use an action besides the hook and eye?

Yes, they occasionally made Edeophones, especially large duets, with a riveted action.

I won't say any more at the moment, because my forthcoming paper for PICA deals with the reasons for a lot of these changes.

Edited to add notes on sales history of 1073, & also on Lady Caroline.

Edited by Stephen Chambers